3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

05 p1222

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 p1222

Has anybody come up with a permanent fix for the p1222. I put in new injectors as some people said would fix it and got about 800 miles until it came back up. Any info would be appreciated
Thx
Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 PM

i have been chasing the same gremlin,

2.5 years of issues,

started with poor mileage,

replaced slipping tranny, new badass tranny triple lock upgraded valve body all the goodies, mpg gets a tiny bit better

poor gas mileage need new injectors, ok all new bosch remans, truck runs great, mpg still sucks

mpg bad get reflash, ok get reflash now i have a truck that gets crappy mileage and it is in limp mode cause of the new tolerances for rail pressure related to the new p1222 rail pressure trouble code.

replaced map sensor, FCA, FPRV, injectors, etc. no change

reflashed computer, no change

clear code, trucks runs like a scalded dog, downshift, wts come on throws code and I am once again in limp mode

truck is in the shop once again, testing fuel system tip to tail, not the dealer and if my guys cant find it its going straight to cummins.

anybody want a really nice dually
Old 07-24-2013, 01:43 PM

I wish I could find my a older original factory tune. Get my mpg back and fix the code
Old 07-27-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by TDC Dodge
I wish I could find my a older original factory tune. Get my mpg back and fix the code

so here is the latest

to date,

new injectors
new tranny (unrelated to the p1222, it was just time)
new FCA
New FPRV
New MAP sensor

yesterday replaced and re torqued injector supply tubes, check yours, mine did have some scarring which will cause low pressure and excessive bypass, also my mechanic says the factory torque spec is not quite enough, he likes them at 40 ftlbs instead of 37,

Truck is running better than it ever has, hand calculated mileage yesterday almost 19 miles per gallon, mixed use HWY, town and pulling 4 passes through the colorado mountains at 65-70

my mileage is back better than it ever was, the truck has plenty of power, if i down shift the **** code comes back, at this point i have decided that i am chasing a ghost.

The only thing i can think of is the CP3 just isn't building pressure fast enough. I can read 23,000 psi on the gauge so i know it is getting there,

going back to the garage to watch it on the scope under power and compare demand to actual pressures again.

I have spoken to MADS about their smarty and a backdated stock program. They tell me they can do it.

Ill post up the results of what i find out

This truck is paid for, it does not make sense to trade it off or sell it at this time, the CP3 may be on its way out,

I may break down and install a better one, but if MADS can do it i may just go the route of dumping the f...ing code cause there does not seem to be anything wrong with the truck.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 PM

first I ordered my smarty today,

They have promised me a new tune that will come in the form of a "recovery file" this should put my truck back to the way it was when i picked up the rig from the dealer in 2005 and not have the p1222 code included in the flash.

Limits to this are the newer smarty flashes will not work on my rig. BFD. The recovery file will be mine to use and store in my laptop should some dumbass dealer decide to upgrade my computer cause i am in for a loose hubcap.

So today the leak down test is being completed and should have results tomorrow.

Bottom line is I have decide to stop chasing the gremlin, That is right Chrysler, i choose not to play....

Ok here is my ***** session for Chrysler

This truck did not come from the factory with this code. I understand that you may do whatever you want with your new trucks and sell them with whatever codes you decide. But i own this truck, translate that as it is not your truck , it is not under warranty and any damage to it by a slight difference in fuel rail pressure is on me, parts and labor. I never gave you permission to turn my truck off for a slight loss of mileage. I never asked you to install additional programing that would cause me to lose the rights to drive my truck.

Chrysler has effectively stolen my truck. after 7 of the last 14 days in in the shop and what now amounts to over $6000 in repairs there is nothing wrong with this truck and it is none of your business whether there might be a slight issue. Get your piece of crap bs programming off my rig.

Shutting off these trucks is flat out dangerous. mine defuels with over 12K lbs behind it, this is dangerous not only to me and my family, but to anyone that might be on the road with me. last time this happened with my trailer i though i was going to come to stop on Monarch pass.

In my opinion this matter warrants a class action lawsuit. there are, from what i can tell, thousands of trucks around the country that are having this issue. The people that have the service performed without consent should be compensated for the loss of use and cost of unnecessary repairs. how many of you had new injectors installed with the promise that would fix the issue???? oh you need a new CP3 and that will fix it, a new FCA will do the trick, its your FPRV that will do it. BS BS BS, truth is the monkey butt parts changers at your average dealer's shop don't know what the hell they are doing.

dodge should step to the plate and at least change the way the parameters affect the vehicle. a CEL and some dinging would be sufficient to get the trucks into the dealer for service. defueling a diesel would do more damage than a small loss of rail pressure

until the dealer caused this issue i was a huge fan and loved my truck, I don't know that i will ever buy another new one.

I will post an update as to whether the smarty eliminates the WTS (P1222) issue
Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rockhound

...dodge should step to the plate and at least change the way the parameters affect the vehicle. a CEL and some dinging would be sufficient to get the trucks into the dealer for service. defueling a diesel would do more damage than a small loss of rail pressure...

I understand your frustration and I'm sorry with all the issues with your truck but emotion will never help with a technical problem.
I do agree with you on the quote above, all that was needed was a CEL and the P1222/P1223 code.
I speculate that Chrysler decided on the limp/derate mode to try to save the engine from a injector flowing too much fuel...

Do you still have the Quadzilla XZT module installed?

Another, but riskier, option to go back to pre-P1222/P1223 firmware is to purchase on older Bully Dog programmer. Flash your truck with it and then back to stock with it.
Those old Bully Dog programmers are so lame that they don't check what firmware is installed in the ECM before flashing.

Once you have really old firmware loaded in your ECM, you can load an older level, pre-P1222/P1223, Smarty firmware.
But there is risk letting a Bully Dog programmer anywhere near your ECM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 PM

that is the whole point, their is not a technical issue with the truck, end of story, there is nothing left to check, the truck is in top condition with absolutely no issues

and no the quad box never ran right, was the biggest pile of crap, threw engine codes from the start, i did not have it on the truck for more than a month, that was four or five years ago, quad promised years ago to fix it, never heard back from them. i figured it was probably the altitude changes we get driving here in colorado. 5600 feet to 11,000 several times a day is not unusual when you are traveling.

the truck is stock for the most part, cai intake, and exhaust mods are about it. oh and when done with the new firmware i will be able to tune it with the smarty or even an edge cs/cts something like that.

the issue i think guys are having, and there are tons of us (just do a google search) is that they upgrade (that's a laugh) this software that has parameters they like to see on a brand new under warranty truck and expect a 7 year old rig with 177K miles on it to meet those parameters.

well i got news for you, that isn't going to happen. i have replaced most of the fuel system, truck runs better than ever with better mileage than ever and my butt dyno says it has more power than ever, and their computer wont let me drive the **** thing. i can see the pressure from the cp3 both on the gauge and on my diagnostic equipment. it is making 23 kpsi and the code still says i have low rail pressure or a leak due to excessive return.

when it went to the dealer and like all the other trucks they claim mine needs new injectors. just based on the code, they never even thought about testing them first. that is just the first thing out their mouths, second thing was, what do you mean they only have 5000K miles on them. dumb asses, look a little further, find another part that is bad or weak or needs replacement.,

at this time there is nothing else to replace, the only 2 parts that have not been replaced test out to factory specifications. so then what, what should i do then? replace the brand new parts, replace parts that are not bad? how about i sell the **** thing how about that, I have a better idea lets return the truck to stock programming and tell Chrysler to bite me. The truck will never see another dealer, if my mechanic (Cummins Factory trained) can't fix it then it either isn't broke or it needs to go to Cummins for repair. Luckily i have a cummins shop an hour from the house.

it is not like i have not tried to play the game and make the computer happy, at some point the repairs become more than the truck is worth, i am lucky, i can afford to play the game for a little while, a lot of guys, even some guys on this board are not so lucky, they should not lose the use of their truck because they need to live with a weak injector until they can afford it. or a weak cp3 that only makes 22,750 psi, or a set of injector tubes that are leaking a bit. who the hell says a truck should never run down the road with a slightly worn part,

i bought this truck to pull my trailers, it wont do that, all in i have a $65K investment in this rig, truck, third row seat custom sleeper extension, interest, parts, labor, tires etc. all in, so now it is a $65K paperweight.

the new trucks from 2011 on that came with this flash from the factory, you guys are screwed, you can plan on replacing the fuel system probably about every five years, awesome, if you luck out maybe it will crap out the first time while its still under warranty.

Mads, EFI live for newer trucks 06, 07, 08 have both developed a work around for this issue.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 PM

so results today for my p1222 (low rail pressure WTS issue, excessive return)

return rates from both the cp3 and the injectors are less than half the factory standard.

so in addition to replacing nearly the entire fueling system the malfunction the p1222 thinks it is monitoring doesn't even exist.

Smarty should arrive today will update after i have applied their flash, may be a day or two for them to send me the updated flash.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:04 PM

OK the last update on my situation anyway

As indicated above the MADS techs said the y could fix the P1222 wait to start light issue for me.

Ordered a smarty J-06 for my 2005 ram,

sent the techs at MADS the infor on my rig, year, build date, vin etc. they turned the new program around in less than 12 hours. They sent me a recovery program that basically set the ECM back to the way it was when i bought the truck in 2005. Translation the p1222 code does not exist in my ecm programming.

They also sent an update file for the smarty that is also pre 2011, so not only can i reset my truck back to factory specs anytime i wish, but i also have the smarty tunes that work with the older firmware that lives on my truck.

Smarty Rocks, and a big thanks to Adam Manning at technical support for all his help.

I am not suggesting that anyone do this fix on a truck that might have an issue in the fuel system. I spent thousands chasing parts and testing my rig to make sure it was not the truck itself (i mean tested and replaced everything) before i decided to change the data set in my firmware. If you are having a true fueling issue and getting this code then be sure to fix your truck first, if you are truly satisfied that your truck is performing as it should and your are still getting the code then this works very well.

Now that i have given my little disclaimer: my true feelings are that it is unrealistic for DC to expect all the older trucks with thousands of miles on them to perform at factory new standards. They physically went in and have selectively installed this code in your firmware sometime after 2011. I don't understand what possesses them to shut the truck down for a 500 psi loss of rail pressure. my diesel tech says that 500 psi is the tolerance threshold before it shuts down your truck. I you have truck that is shutting off on you and you just can't afford the price of a new set of injectors and tubes and FCA and FPRV and lift pump and new CP3 so your truck will run this should at least let you drive your truck until you can save up and or replace parts as they truly test bad and you know they need replaced.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:15 PM

The code has only come up once since I changed injectors. I hope it's gone for good but if it comes back ill have to go to the old smarty tune like your saying. Has anybody replaced injectors with bigger ones while changing parts trying to fix the code besides me?
Old 02-02-2016, 03:44 AM

So it's basically a bull crap code? I'm getting the same thing and I don't know what to do about it. The truck runs just fine no rough idol or any of that and is still getting 17 mpg. Some say to disconnect the batteries for 15 to 20 minutes and others say it could be weak batteries and others say it's because it's cold out, but I'm getting the P 1222 code and I don't know if it needs to be reflashed or what. I hope it's not something that can't be fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:41 PM

sorry to dredge up an old thread, just wondering of any updates to the p1222 code. I thought i had to get my ECM rebuilt due to a p2509 gremlin (got that squared away) and ever since have been getting a p1222 intermittently (because they updated the software) with no resolution. Really dont want to put injectors in just to have it not go away.
I have had multiple conversations with MADS electronics and they will not sell me a smarty with the old software, stating that they dont even have it to offer.