3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

04 HO vs. 04.5

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Navistar/Cat/Ford went the wrong route trying to use HEUI injectors instead of common rail. The oil pressure is just another variable that the engineers must deal with. My ISB runs very well. The odd time the idle will kick around a bit, but nothing much. My old Ford IDI 7.3 always had a steady idle. Mechanical pump. Mechanical lift pump. Not too many failures with these. Sorta can't say that with the Cummins lift pumps can ya.
All in all I do think that DC/Cummins has the best package right now. For the Ford guys who bleed blue and will never change no matter how much problems they have...well they can have it.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:18 PM

Nice clear summary Doug and thanks. Mercy, more torque and hp.
My 04' is a handlful as it is!
Old 01-22-2004, 02:55 PM

Just what does the terms CAT and EGR mean?
Thanks
Old 01-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Banned

cat is catalytic converter
EGR is Exhaust gas recirculation
Old 01-22-2004, 04:04 PM

CAT is short for catylitic converter. sometimes called a kitty. actually a diesel oxidation catylist I think in the Cummins. Perceived problematic by some because of its linkage to emissions regulations (exhaust is an EPA emissions component) and the potential for higher legal risk to the owner if s/he replaces with std exhaust as a modification.

EGR is short for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, a method of emissions control (especially aimed at NOx) where a portion of the exhaust gas is cooled and re-injected into the engine's intake. Common in gassers and present on many diesels (except ours) including Duramax, Powerstoke, and other diesel vehicles. Controversial because it has no benefit other than emissions, and is believed by many to have only negative side effects such as reduced fuel economy and power output, not to mention cost and complexity.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by doug
not without additional fuel, no. The way I see it, those additions are there to cope with the consequences of the new heavily retarded fuel charge, combined with the additional fuel requried to produce the additional torque.
. . .
what I do know is that it benefits NOx emissions!
And what I know is that retarding timing nearly always hurts fuel mileage which is one of the big advantages of the Cummins over brand X.

The Boss Hog
(Sincerly hope I'm wrong . . . . )
Old 01-22-2004, 05:13 PM

no kidding. this will be interesting. Seems that for the current 03-platform has on the order of 20-40 HP available just in timing, ergo the Bullydog timing/pressure box. the late(r)/large fuel charge is apparently the approach for 04.5 to reduce NOx without EGR. it will be fascinating to see what this does, if anything, to fuel economy. The fueling box mfgs will no doubt figure out how to advance the timing, but that will wack out the NOx badly and may engage the NOx police more vigorously under the new regs.