3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

04 Hard start problem cured with Fass

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Hard start problem cured with Fass

I just bought an 04 Ram 2500 and a year ago the last owner had the engine mounted lift pump go out and so his mechanic not only replaced the pump but added an in-tank one and found that the stock wiring harness already had a pump plug at the the tank. Anyway I knew that was wrong to have two inferior pumps both running in series but I didnt realize how lame the mechanic was until I discovered he had the fuel module turned 90 degrees in the tank from where it was supposed to be and that was causing the fuel sensor arm to hang up and read wrong. I ordered a Fass Titanium and a Vulcan Draw Straw V and before I could even get to the install I started having hard starting issues and a few times had to crank the engine for five or ten seconds before it would kick over. I was wondering if just swapping the lift pump was going to do the trick or if that common rail had other issues.
The original in tank pump is a poor design and the base of that unit doesnt flow fuel very well and then to add to the issue the second Carter pump on the block was a further bottleneck. I would notice if I really got on the pedal that throttle response was slow and sluggish in the mid range. The Draw Straw is a full 1/2" tube size and an extra hole is drilled in the side of the fuel cup. The Fass pump turned out to be quieter that some people reported. Once it was all installed the engine kicks right over and when it revs up now it feels smoother and more powerful and the mid range pulls stronger. In a sense it feels like more horsepower but I think its just running cleaner. I have to say after feeling the difference I would never own one of these trucks with the stock pump again. The Fass was pricey but the filtration is first class. I'm happy with it.