3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

'04.5 original lift pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question '04.5 original lift pump

My truck has the orginal lift pump, the one on the side of the fuel filter canister. The truck has 119k+ miles on it and the filter is still putting out 7.5-9 psi. From all the posts here it appears there's a high frequency of lift pump failure. There are no mods on the motor and I don't plan any so, if my lift pump should fail, I'd just as soon replace it with a similar one and I thought I'd get a spare to have on hand. So far my internet search to find one has had negative results. Is the original pump still available anywhere?
Old 01-19-2008, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How will you know if it fails? Will it throw a CEL or a code? I would suggest a fuel pressure gauge before carrying a second pump. Or maybe some hose with an inline filter so you could just bypass the stocker until you can get a replacement. Your lift pump may never die there is just no way of knowing. Are the 04.5 pumps flow through? Can the cp3 pull through them?

As to your original question I have not a clue where you could purchase a stock LP. I thought they were just retrofitting everything with the 05'+ intank LP's.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:49 AM

If a stock lift pump is what you desire, Rockauto.com has them for $130 or so. Geno's also has them for not much more than that. There are alot of options for high quality lift pumps, from fass to gdp/walbro to airdog and rapture ect... Each have there own +'s and -'s . The two reasons to spend a little xtra coin on them is for piece of mind and they will supply you with ample fuel volume and pressure to support the extra power that you say your not interested in. YET !!!!. I was going to buy the bd lift pump kit till I learned it was a carter pump. I have not had much luck with carters for diesel fuel. Do some reading and you'll learn the diferences between them.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:51 AM

I upgraded to a GDP 392 and there was no problem yet with my canister LP. I did this because I don't want to have to deal with the intank pump when mine fails. It's easy to say just replace it with the same but if your luck is like mine then it would never fail in a convenient place (like on a dark highway at 3:00am towing a trailer). It would then get towed to a shop or dealer where the only option would be to put the intank pump in. Since I now have the Walbro GDP set up, if it ever did fail unexpectedly I could easily swap it with any inline pump from any parts store in an emergency until I could get a replacement Walbro. I believe someone once said that 7.3L Powerstrokes used essentially the same Walbro inline pump from the factory but could be wrong....either way it is worth the piece of mind as well as if the pump ever needed changing it would be a 15 min job with simple hand tools and could be done almost anywhere that you could crawl under the truck.

Original LP was 8+psi at idle and never went below 5psi but now I am at 21+psi at idle and never drop below 15psi at WOT. Piece of mind!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Check this out... The factory LP on our trucks (04.5) is not a flow through design when it takes a dump... So if it goes, you will need to take it off, and you need an adapter to run an inline pump... I found out the hard way 2hrs from home. In a pinch, you could run a pump straight to the CP3.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:09 AM

how will you know when it fails...my guess...your truck won't run!! look on the site...somewhere theres a listing of what all of the codes mean....it's nice to keep in your truck

good luck, I had mine go when I was in the middle of nowhere colorado...what a fun day......
Old 01-19-2008, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by icrider
how will you know when it fails...my guess...your truck won't run!! look on the site...somewhere theres a listing of what all of the codes mean....it's nice to keep in your truck

good luck, I had mine go when I was in the middle of nowhere colorado...what a fun day......
I know the feeling. It just quits! Just cruising along on a surface street and like a light switch turning off,....it dies
Keep in mind that you have power steering and brakes. Without power these beasts are very dificult to stee and stop!
Mike
###