3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

'03 owners, NEED HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 owners, NEED HELP!!!!

I am giving this a last shot before I head to the dealer. I have started this thread, but Iam in dire straights now, so I changed the title of my thread in hopes of getting more views, so sorry if I offend anyone because this is a repeat thread but I am at my wit's end, SO.......

My belt started to shread, and somhow grab teh wiring for the viscous fan drive, and yanked it out of the fan. I pulled the fan and opened up the loom at the fan, and found 6 wires. What is odd is where the harness plugs into one another (about 12 inches down from teh fan), there are only 5 wires. At te fan there is obviously 1 extra wire, a red one.

Now, once the wiring got ripped out, my AC would not work at idle, only driving down teh road. (worked perfect BEFORE teh wiring got ripped up).

OK, I went to strip back the 5 wires ( i was going to leave the extra red wire alone since the other 5 wires color matched the wires at the connector). Alos, I have a shop manual, and it gives a diagram of the plug, and is exactly how it is on my truck. Unfortunaley, they do not have a diagram AT THE FAN. So, anyways, as I amstripping back the wire, I notice that the blue wire (at the fan) is not a wire, it is insulation or somthing. So, I strip back the extra red wire, and use it in place of my now missng blue wire. I get it all hooked up, plugged in, and go drive my truck. AC works GREAT again,idle, drving down the road, everything, BUT, NOW my clutch fan is engaged at all times.

So, my question is:

Anyone wire up teh viscous fan before?
And if so, what is going on with mine?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Banned

Cav Circuit Function
1 Y1 18lg Park Lockout Solenoid Control
2 K4 18bk/lb Sensor Ground
3 Y5 18or Fan Speed
4 - -
5 Y3 18wt Sensor Supply
6 F15 20db Fused Igntion Switch Output (run)
Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

AS you can see, the above post, there are ONLY 5 wires used at the plug, which is located about 18" from the fan....

but AT THE FAN there are 6 wires. But the blue wire AT THE FAN is NOT a wire, it is insulation.

Also, the above diagram breaks down like this:

lg = light green
bk/lb = black with light blue stripe
or = orange

wt = white
db= dark blue

as you can see NO RED WIRE, but AT THE FAN there is!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm looking at this for you also, so hang in there>>>>

Chris
Old 11-07-2007, 02:23 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a friend pull and look at a new clutch # 52028879 AF. He described two rows of wires on the connector. One row had three wires. White-Black-Green in that order. Then Red-Orange with Orange in the center. He wasn't clear on the orientation of the plug but there was only five wires on it. Hope this helps some.

Chris
Old 11-07-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you try running it with the A/C off to see if the fan disengaged? Anytime I turned the A/C on in my 03 the fan would automatically engage..
Old 11-07-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 03 trucks does the same thing i had something rip a couple pf my wire up an ever since then my fan drive stays engauged all the time with the a/c on but it turns off with the a/c off. and when at idle the a/c doesnt work and going down the road it works good and then it will freeze up if on the road for a while. and i have a code p0483 whats the deal with this?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ratlratl
I had a friend pull and look at a new clutch # 52028879 AF. He described two rows of wires on the connector. One row had three wires. White-Black-Green in that order. Then Red-Orange with Orange in the center. He wasn't clear on the orientation of the plug but there was only five wires on it. Hope this helps some.

Chris

Thanks Chris! See, U gave the extra "blue" wire, but it is ONLY insulation. So, it is correct that technically there are only 5 wires, but what do I do with the RED wire now??? Since at the plug, there is NO red wire, but a blue one...hook all the other wires color to color, ad then hook teh red wire from teh fan up to the blue wire at the plug???? If so, that is what I did, and like I said, no my clutch is locked up all the time.

Thanks for helping out, and trying to solve my issue though

I was not able to get teh dealer yesterday, so....
Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Did you try running it with the A/C off to see if the fan disengaged? Anytime I turned the A/C on in my 03 the fan would automatically engage..

No, have NOT tried that....BUT, I have owned my truck for over 2 years, and was never like that before though

The ONLY time my clutch locked up in the past was

FIRST thing in the morning, for about 100-200 feet, then disengage,

AND, when temps start to elevate when I am working the truck hard, clutch will lock up, and that's IT.....

I will try it this afternoon with teh AC off.....but man, that thing drives me crazy. At 70 MPH, that thing is HOWLING
Old 11-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by truck524
my 03 trucks does the same thing i had something rip a couple pf my wire up an ever since then my fan drive stays engauged all the time with the a/c on but it turns off with the a/c off. and when at idle the a/c doesnt work and going down the road it works good and then it will freeze up if on the road for a while. and i have a code p0483 whats the deal with this?

OK, you may have my problem, AND something else.

If evap freezing up, then....

1)low on freon (I know this for sure, as mine was about a year ago)
2)Evap fin temp sensor is bad

those maybe your problems with evap freezing up

As mentioned, my AC does NOT work at idle if I leave the plug,unplugged. When I plug the plug in, AC works at idle great! So, DEFINITELY both of those work together, for sure. So, if you fan wires got ripped ot, then you need to get them wired up, and then be in the same boat I am trying to figure out where in teh heck the red wire at the fan goes to
Old 11-08-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does this help any?
Attached Thumbnails '03 owners, NEED HELP!!!!-fan-circuit.jpg  
Old 11-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 5.9Excursion
Does this help any?

Well, it is realsmall on my puter, and whn I click on it, and open it on another page, thewriting is enlarged, but can not read it.

However, if you got it from teh service manual, I do have it.
I may have missed something, so, what is teh schematic you attached of?

Thanks guys for all your help
Old 11-08-2007, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's from the service manual, just shows the wiring from the vistronic fan drive back to the ECM (pin numbers, connection points, wire colors, etc.).

I have a fan and clutch at home on the bench, I'll see what I can find out tonight at the fan end of the wiring...
Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If it helps, I believe the fan on my 03 also runs when the AC is on and ambient temps are high...

Regarding the belt shreading, check to make sure the alternator bracket isn't cracked, as that was an issue on 03's. Also, I there was a TSB on adding a clutch over-run clutch that was supposed to cure belt shreading.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/08-007-03.htm

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/09-004-06.htm
Old 11-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 5.9Excursion
It's from the service manual, just shows the wiring from the vistronic fan drive back to the ECM (pin numbers, connection points, wire colors, etc.).

I have a fan and clutch at home on the bench, I'll see what I can find out tonight at the fan end of the wiring...

OK, thanks, that should help shed some light

Quick Reply: '03 owners, NEED HELP!!!!