3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

03 Cummins No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03 Cummins No Start

Here's the story. Bought an 03 Ram 2500 4X4 with a 5.9 Cummins as a no start vehicle. Previous owner had the injection pump rebuilt, put in new injectors and an Edge tuner in it, Truck ran fine for about a year until he blew the transmission. (NV4500 manual) It sat parked for close to a year and then he started to rebuild the transmission and ended up giving up on the project when the truck wouldn't start. Long story short the transmission is now rebuilt and installed with a new clutch (All parts came with truck in pieces in a box) I am now left with the no start to figure out. Previous owner had started to remove the tuner and I finished removing it figuring better to start from scratch. It turns over like a champ and Batteries are Good. At first along with the no start I had No gauges (or movement), No fuel delivery, No radio, No heater, No power windows and ECM would not communicate with Scanner. New Ignition switch cured the heater, windows, radio and now Speedometer and Tack do their little jump with Key on but still no Fuel delivery, Fuel gauge or Volt Meter. I tried the Key Method Scan but it wouldn't work, However I can retrieve Hour Meter reading. Gauges test all showed all gauges functioning and it gave me the C Codes which reveal PCM and AMC Messages Not Received. I'm new to Dodge's but have done the typical fuse checks, swapped relays around and cleaned connections and am now at the point of needing some suggestions. I'm thinking ECM but want to eliminate other possibilities before going that route PS this Cummins has had the fuel pump removed from the filter housing and placed in the tank.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you verified the fuel pump is working ? , put a short hose on the filter drain tube, run it into a bucket under truck, open fuel valve on the side of the filter, turn switch on momentary, then back off, verify fuel running into bucket, if fuel pumped OK, if not check all relays, fuses, and pump in tank has new relay, verify all are working, hope all is OK by now,,
Old 07-16-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECM not reading with scanner or using 3X with the key method
Trip Odometer reveals Hour meter and Gauges ALL work Codes show not communicating with PCM
No Volt Meter, Fuel Gauge or Fuel delivery
Fuel Lift Pump does work and delivers fuel when powered direct from Battery
I have 12 volt Battery power to the Fuel Pump Relay Plug, I however have No "control" power to the fuel pump relay plug from the engine wiring harness with key On.
Fuses, and Relays checked and grounds cleaned
Just eliminating all possibilities before changing the ECM
Old 07-16-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark Side
ECM not reading with scanner or using 3X with the key method
Trip Odometer reveals Hour meter and Gauges ALL work Codes show not communicating with PCM
No Volt Meter, Fuel Gauge or Fuel delivery
Fuel Lift Pump does work and delivers fuel when powered direct from Battery
I have 12 volt Battery power to the Fuel Pump Relay Plug, I however have No "control" power to the fuel pump relay plug from the engine wiring harness with key On.
Fuses, and Relays checked and grounds cleaned
Just eliminating all possibilities before changing the ECM
changing the ECM will most likely solve the problem