3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission ?

Well it has been a long time since I have been on here. I have some very troubling questions and no easy answers. I used a mechanic that was recommended to me by more than one person and I thought some of this was just coincidence. I started questioning things and took it to another place and had all the work this other shop had done and found it was all done very haphazardly. There is about ten + thousand dollars worth of work that is all wrong and I don't know if suing is the right answer.
With all that said the biggest problem is I had them build what was supposed to be a bullet proof transmission and when I took it into the new shop it seemed to work and shift fine. They found problems with it right away and pulled the transmission and sent it to their transmission people who opened it up and said it had a torque converter that was totally destroyed and metal fragments all over in the case. I didn't think a truck would shift or keep working if this happens? I am not a clueless person when it comes to my truck and I didn't feel that the truck was shifting or really acting funny or wrong, is this possible?
Thanks for your comments about this. It is very frustrating to find bad mechanics.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Why did they pull the transmission if it worked fine? Did you have any problems with it? What other work was done?
Old 08-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by gorms
Why did they pull the transmission if it worked fine? Did you have any problems with it? What other work was done?
X2, I want to know as well.

Every mechanic has a bad day now and then, but this one seems quite odd.

First off, if the transmission was operating properly, I don't buy for a second it was as bad as was presented, you know when the TC takes a dump, and a good shop ( the second one ) would have dropped the pan and inspected it and shown you the debris in the pan and the oil. No way would I pull a customer transmission and send it off without the customer knowing and being comfortable with the necessity of the work.

Did you ask the original mechanic about any of the things you were questioning? If so, what was the vibe you got from them?
Old 08-22-2015, 04:12 PM

Maybe I did not explain this in a clear way. I had a leak in my trans so I asked them to check things out. When the new shop started checking it they thought it might be warped and so they drained it and found metal shavings in the fluid so they called and asked if I had been having problems and I told them no it seemed fine so they asked if I wanted their trans people to look at it. The trans people took the pan down and determined the torque converter had come apart. I just don't understand how I would not have known it. This whole situation has me very rattled because now I am questioning this shop and they have an amazing reputation here in Utah.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:26 PM

The other work done was injectors. I had one go out on me and they were supposed to replace all 6. The new shop flow checked them and one is at 84 and one is at 115. These were done about a year ago and less than 20,000 miles. The new shop is replacing the bad and are going to try and tell if they have been replaced before or not.
I had a leak on my rear drive line from a leaking transfer case seal and so when I took it in to have them do that I also had them put new shocks all around. this was about a month ago. This is what got me to seek a new shop. I had a thump under my truck and I couldn't tell exactly were it was coming from and I still had trans fluid leaking. I realized every time I had taken my truck into these guys it had to go back for something else shortly after.
So I took it to this new shop and come to find out the first shop when they replaced the seal put the drain and fill plugs in to tight and damaged the threads. The shocks on the right side of the truck were not finished when they installed them, one had a bolt thru the bottom but not tightened and the other had no bolt at all in the bottom.
then the whole thing with the trans.
I have not talked to the first shop yet because I am still waiting to see what all is wrong for sure. I didn't dare let them try and fix what they messed up because I don't trust them at all anymore! I just wished I was trusting this shop to be honest, but it is hard right now.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
That sucks....exactly why I try to do all my own work. Not sure what to suggest, sounds like at least one shop had some sub par work.

My opinion, though, is I don't know how you can say a torque converter crapped out just by dropping the pan. Or what can warp to create a leak...? Really need to see the metal found, some is normal for break in, no large shards though.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:59 PM

For that Kind of money you can get an ATS TRANS and relax a bit!
ATS TRANS