3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

hard start after new injectors. please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking hard start after new injectors. please help

2004 Cummins 3500. 200k mi. trouble started last winter when fuel jelled. changed filter and treated fuel and started right up. then started hard start. would crank 20 seconds before starting and then finally no start.
going to give you run down on what I have done to my truck hoping you Cummins gurus might have some ideas or know someone smarter then me or that this will help someone else.

1. cleaned fuel filter. new filter, twice, sea foam. started the first time after but then hard start again.
2. bleed the fuel lines. cracked couple of fuel lines and crank it till it started. started fine few times.
3. replaced the PRV. fuel pressure relief valve rail.. used a after market plug. no help
4. removed the COF from back of CP3. cleaned and replaced. started right up few times and then back to hard starts.
5. installed a new FCA. fuel control actuator. no help.
6. installed fuel pressure gage. 10psi idle . 4-5 on acceleration. lift pump must be fine.
7. took to shop. #5 injector replaced. leaking #2 when I got home. took back and they fixed leak. then no start. replaced injector #3. started, then no start. said #2 went out. replaced all injectors.(cost me a fortune) picked it up and then flew to CA because mother inlaw died.

when we got back. started right up after setting for 2 weeks. drove around. each time started, it cranked little longer. parked few days later, would not start. will start with starting fluid and runs like a raped ape !!
purchased a scanner. I plugged it into the truck and got these codes.
P0193: fuel rail pressure sensor .
P0148: fuel delivery error.
P0251: injection pump. fuel metering control "A". cam/rotor/injector.

that is where I am at man. need to get her running.

I have done numerous hours of research and it could be something as simple as wrong torque on one of the new injectors.

I called the place that replaced the injectors and they said bring it in that something else must have failed. not sure if I want to believe them for sure.
I will take it to them to check it out sense it could be failure on there part but want to be educated when I go there.

appreciate any ideas or help you have.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you dont need to bleed the system, its a self purging system. did you get remanned or brand new injectors? what is your rail pressure when cranking it? i think starting fluid is a bad ideal to use unless you have removed your grid heater. when i clean my system i use atf and it works better then the other diesel fuel system cleaners.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the info Rider. they put in new injectors. I have no tester to check the rail pressure when cranking. I learned from another user that if you turn the key and not bump it, and then go spray the starting fluid, then turn key to start that it will not effect the grid heater. I have done it several times with no effects.
so do you pout the ATF in your fuel tank? we used to do that years ago on old diesels to stop smoking.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you turn the key on and it is below 66* the grid heater will turn on. it has nothing to do with bumping it. yes, pour 1 qt of dexron atf into the tank when you fill it up. do this for a few tanks and it will clean your system. just use cheap atf and non synthetic.