3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2005 Dodge Ram diesel-I have brakes but no power steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Dodge Ram diesel-I have brakes but no power steering

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram diesel. About a year and a half ago I replaced the power steering pump, brake master cylinder, hydro boost, and steering gear box as I was having issues with the steering and brakes. Everything was working great until today when I was getting ready to leave for a trip. Now I have no power steering, but the brakes work fine. When I put it in neutral and rev the engine up to about 2,000 RPMs I can turn the tires a couple of inches each direction and I hear a loud hissing type of sound.

I don’t think this would be a problem with the power steering pump as the brakes work. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Geremy
Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 AM

A little more info. When I jack up the front end of the truck the wheels turn just fine. Does this mean the Gear Box?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 AM

I know this is an old post but I had the same issue and I went through 3 power steering pumps and 2 steering boxes to figure it out but about 8 months later it started doing it again no power steering unless I get the RPMS up anyone have any idea what's going on? Hydro boost? I read on another forum that there is an orifice on the powers steering pump that can become plugged?

I am really at my wits end with this truck
Old 06-16-2013, 11:10 AM

Seth,

I understand your frustration, I was there. What I found was that the Hydroboot broke inside and left tons of small medal silvers in the line, getting into the power steering pump and gear box. I had to replace all three, and flushed the system several times to get all that stuff out. As I noted above, I had additional problems, that was because I didn't get all of the medal out, it jacked up the power steering pump again. I did addition flushes, replaced the pump and haven't had issues since. To see the medal i stained the fluid through a white rag, then you could see the medal in it. Hopefully this helps.