2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Zeroing the Steering Wheel without a sector shaft connected

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeroing the Steering Wheel without a sector shaft connected

just want some oppinions on centering the wheel without messing any wiring up. How many turns one way ?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Not sure what you are asking, if you want to center the wheel, adjust the link from the steering box over to the knuckle, no need to disconnect the steering wheel.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Not sure what you are asking, if you want to center the wheel, adjust the link from the steering box over to the knuckle, no need to disconnect the steering wheel.
Steering sector shaft is not on the truck, so adjusting that will do nothing for the steering wheel.

I'm trying to center the wheel before I put the SSS On the truck. I don't think you can go in the cab and spin the wheel like on the Price is Right and just throw the shaft on wherever the wheel stops at. For some reason the airbag, radio wiring, cruize control, clockspring do funny things when you do that.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
May have to pull the airbag and clockspring, then start fresh..
Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Steering sector shaft is not on the truck, so adjusting that will do nothing for the steering wheel.

I'm trying to center the wheel before I put the SSS On the truck. I don't think you can go in the cab and spin the wheel like on the Price is Right and just throw the shaft on wherever the wheel stops at. For some reason the airbag, radio wiring, cruize control, clockspring do funny things when you do that.
Yes, that is what I was trying to get across, I thought you had 1 extra turn or so before the clockspring popped, it isn't much.

I have never had my Dodge off at the input to the steering box, so I can't say the splines aren't one position only like others. I am going to set this one out for now.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
just want some oppinions on centering the wheel without messing any wiring up. How many turns one way ?
you turn the steering wheel all the way to the right , count the turns to all the way left. then go back right 1/2 the turns, done !!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by jtamulonis
you turn the steering wheel all the way to the right , count the turns to all the way left. then go back right 1/2 the turns, done !!
I think you may want to reread the entire question before answering next time.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to sit this one also....I'm curious also how many turns,before the clockspring goes crazy..I had my steering shaft out serveral times...But I locked in position...Very curious now...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
May have to pull the airbag and clockspring, then start fresh..
That's the way it's normally done.
Wheels pointed straight ahead with the clockspring half unwound or in the shipping position.
Steering boxes vary quite a bit in the number of turns from bump to bump depending on the brand and type, don't think you can use box turns as a guide with the clockspring
Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
I think you may want to reread the entire question before answering next time.
I read the whole question, and there`s no way turning the steerin` wheel all the way to the stops will hurt the wirein`, so,what`s the problem ?? the factory designed the system to go lock to lock without damag to the clock spring, or any other wirein`.the OP did not take the wheel off the input shaft, so there`s no chance of screwin` it up.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the factory designed the system to go lock to lock without damag to the clock spring, or any other wirein`.the OP did not take the wheel off the input shaft, so there`s no chance of screwin` it up.
He didn't take the wheel off, but the intermediate shaft (he called it the sector shaft) is not on the truck.....no connection to the box, so the wheel will not stop at the lock. It will continue to spin and break the clockspring.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Anytime I change a steering box I just connect the sector shaft last. Install drag link/pitman arm to box, then jack front end up and manually pull the wheels so they're close to straight (assuming the shaft came out with the wheels straight) and line the two up. I guess this only works if your 4 year old doesn't hop in and start steering the boat in between.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by mrclean
He didn't take the wheel off, but the intermediate shaft (he called it the sector shaft) is not on the truck.....no connection to the box, so the wheel will not stop at the lock. It will continue to spin and break the clockspring.
the sector shaft is in the gearbox, it is connected to the pit-man arm. it sounded like he wanted to center the gear box to put the pitman arm back on. the intermediate shaft is just that. I`ve never heard it called a sector shaft. if he wants to reconnect the intermediate shaft to the steering column and the gear box, then my info is out in left field !! be nice if he would call the part by the correct name.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 AM

I don't know how to find "center" on a clockspring. When removed, they don't like to turn freely. Pretty sure the center needs pressure on it to spin.

But, if you can figure out where the clockspring "at center" is. (it may even be "at rest" when centered?)

Steering wheel has a mark on it that should be lined up with a mark on the column. Clockspring should be centered to allow the steering wheel to be installed with these two Marks lined up.

Once steering wheel is installed, Lock it in place with the ignition/key off.
Connect intermediate shaft with the front wheels as close to straight as possible.
If steering wheel is not straight when driving straight, you'de need to have an alignment shop asjust the tie rods as needed to center the steering wheel.

I've always removed the clocksprings with the wheel centered so as not to mess up a clockspring. If your clockspring has been messed with or turned too far already, or you just don't know if it's centered? I don't know how to get it back correct.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 PM

I read the whole question, and there`s no way turning the steerin` wheel all the way to the stops will hurt the wirein`, so,what`s the problem ?? the factory designed the system to go lock to lock without damag to the clock spring, or any other wirein`.the OP did not take the wheel off the input shaft, so there`s no chance of screwin` it up.
I read that he had the steering box disconnected from the steering shaft, which would allow the wheel to turn infinitely, since the steering box provides the stops.

If he has the clockspring, he can damage it by over turning it, so he is trying to center the wheel to provide the clockspring its correct range.

Anyhow, sounds like he is getting some good answers now.

Quick Reply: Zeroing the Steering Wheel without a sector shaft connected