2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Wheel cylinder upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:17 PM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel cylinder upgrade

I finally did the GMC wheel cylinder upgrade after having the new parts in my garage for the last yr.
I needed to turn my warped rotors AGAIN so I figured while I was doing that as well as lubricating the caliper slides I would beef up the rear brakes in hopes that my rotors will last a little longer. I also followed Infidel's drum removal trick.
I've done it before several yrs ago. Seems I remember reading a post (I guess it was from Infidel) way back then where the poster claims to have failed to put the lug nut back on and got the opportunity to see his drum go bouncing down the street!!
I'm sure it was funny after the fact.
Anyway the upgrade seems to be an improvement OR it may just be that manually adjusting the clickers to the right place was the trick. Either way I'm stopping now.
Someone should put together a "HOW TO" on brake system repairs including the drum removal trick and make it a sticky.
I sure am glad this sight is here........I'd either be spending tons of cash paying a mechanic or would still be outside pounding on those darn brake drums!!!
Thanks guys
Old 05-20-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the upgrade too.. at first it was really bad about locking up the rear brakes. Maybe look into a proportioning valve to back off the pressure a bit.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:56 PM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kawi600
I did the upgrade too.. at first it was really bad about locking up the rear brakes. Maybe look into a proportioning valve to back off the pressure a bit.
Well I can lock up the tires on a dirt road and from the looks of the ruts the front is still doing most of the stopping. The rear seems to just barely skid.
Now I haven't driven it on wet roads yet!!