2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Water leaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water leaks

My 96 has a pretty good leak whch soaks the carpet under the driver Husky liner and it appears to be dirty water because the carpet is filthy as well; so I'm guessing the leak is from below getting splash from the roak/gravel. Does anybody know of an obvious leak or defect/loose plug/part? Thanks in advance for any help, cd
Old 04-19-2008, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your model has a third brake light, that is a common place for it. It leaks around the light, runs sown to the carpet, and the driver and passenger floor is the lowest point, so it settles there.

If it was the passenger side, it could be the ac drain, they are famous for causing the problem, might want to check the passenger side as well.

Now I remember an obscure post about some type of hole in tthe body behind the right and or left kick panel that should have been sealed from the factory and was not. Not sure what years this affected, and if I remeber correctly, it was an easy enough fix by removing the kick panel and using some type of sealant or patch tape.

Don't quote me, but I think the post was by Infidel, so you might want to do a search on that user name. Sorry it was a long time ago when I read the post.

The only other thing I can think of is bad door seals or a missing drain plug somewhere in that area. You need to start snooping around and look at the seal/plugs along the lower firewall as well. Move carpet and look for dry water streaks, etc. Look at where the steering shaft goes thru the firewall. KD
Old 04-19-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks!

I'll get on it. It's snowing in Seattle---the latest snow I can remember in 40 years. Must be that warming thing!