2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Warning Ding, flickering odometer, no codes..??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 07:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Warning Ding, flickering odometer, no codes..??

Hello,

My truck is doing something weird. When the engine is running it randomly "dings". I'm talking about the same noise you would hear from the dashboard if one of the trouble lamps (check engine, etc...) were to illuminate.

However, none of my trouble lamps are lighting up. I can confirm that none of the bulbs are burnt out because they all light up briefly upon startup.

Also, the odometer is "flickering" while the engine is running. It is not flickering when the key is on and the engine is not running. I haven't checked yet at night to see if all the dash lights are flickering or not, but in the daytime they do not appear to be. Just to try it, I watched the odometer when i turned the headlights on/off with the engine running; the flickering remained the same either way.

All my gauge readings are normal. I also used a friends professional code-reader and no codes are found in either module.. The truck appears to be running fine, no loss of power or anything.

The alternator is only about 6-months old.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any and all replies,

Matt
Old 05-29-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Connection somewhere I'm guessing.

What's the last thing you messed with?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds similar but less severe than mine (on mine, the gauges bounce too). Did you find a solution yet? If not, out of curiosity, does it do it with the ignition on but the engine not running? Also, does applying the parking brake affect yours? On mine, applying the parking brake makes the instrument cluster totally dead.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd check your connections under the dash right around the brake/clutch pedals. Some of those feed the panel and the BUS for the panel. If you get a loose connection and you have no BUS signal, you get a warning tone and the instrument panel will go dead (odometer will show NO BUS). Happened to me when I put my gauges in and accidentally dislodged one of the connectors. Then a few years later, the instrument panel died and had to be replaced and showed the same symptoms. Hoping it's just a connection and not the panel.