2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

which transmission is better for sled pulling

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which transmission is better for sled pulling

Is the manual transmission better or is the automatic transmission better. I currently have a 5sp and was wondering if a heavily BOMB'ed truck would be me street worthy if it had an auto in it as apposed to a manual. Seams to me the clutches strong enough for pulling with lots of HP are too much for daily driving whereas the autos people use to pull with could easily be used in a daily driver. Any input would be great.

Just as a thought, would converting to an auto be worth the $, and how hard would it be. I would think it would be easier than converting from auto to stick which I know people have done.

Thanks
Smoke Show
Old 09-17-2004, 01:39 AM
Banned

If it's pure sled pulling, I'd go manual. That way you can launch in 3rd gear and not have to worry about shifting gears and possibly losing momentum. I don't know much about sled pulling though so don't quote me. But that's what I'd do. To convert from stick to auto, you'd need a new driveshaft, crossmember, tranny cooler, lines, shift linkage, shifter handle for an auto, new gauge cluster with the auto signs on it (you could skip most of those and just put a floor mounted ratchet shifter in), and the computer from your year truck but for an auto.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:02 PM

My tranny does excellent when pulling. Can't even feel it shift. I lock OD out and go in 4 low. If you really want to get into sled pulling, and keep your manual I'd get a slipper clutch. I don't know where to find one, though. There are plenty of people out there that are running bombed 5 and 6 speeds on the street. If you did want to go auto I think it'd be cheaper to sell your truck and buy another, if you can find one with a dead tranny it'd be that much better since you will need to upgrade the auto, also.