2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires

Sorry to start this thread again but im looken at buying some tires.
Ive always run Toyo AT but with a new truck im not sure. What is your guys opinion on tires, What tires do you like what do you hate. WHY?

Additionally i know im suppose to run qo ply but i was looking at the specs and alot of times 8 ply tires max weights are only 100 pounds less. What kind of stuff would i be dealling with.

Thanks, id also be getting these tires in town so Les Swhabs, Discount Tires, Altons etc places that are in the North West, i dont want to be ordering tires.

Once again thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robins
Sorry to start this thread again but im looken at buying some tires.
Ive always run Toyo AT but with a new truck im not sure. What is your guys opinion on tires, What tires do you like what do you hate. WHY?

Additionally i know im suppose to run qo ply but i was looking at the specs and alot of times 8 ply tires max weights are only 100 pounds less. What kind of stuff would i be dealling with.

Thanks, id also be getting these tires in town so Les Swhabs, Discount Tires, Altons etc places that are in the North West, i dont want to be ordering tires.

Once again thanks

Having run 8 plies for the last 45K miles

i wouldnt run them again. The sidewall flex while towing, OR while making turns is enough to be scary, it feels like my truck is riding on big pillows,

Anyways next tires will be 285 toyo M55's on my current rims, and plan to keep a set of stock rims with 255 goodrich mud terrains. BOth load range E if possible.... no more D range for me..

Rick
Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 AM

I new there had to be a good reason why not to just no one had explained it to me. Thanks Rick.
Alright any tire suggestions anyone.

How well do M55 do in the soup compared to toyo ATs. I dont really go mudding but i am in and out of fields ALL the time.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always have used Michelins on the truck. (235x85x16 E LTX M/S) I have 77,000 miles on this set. Rotated Twice. Run the pressure rating on the truck door. If you don't the rears will wear in the middle quick. Should make it thru the summer. Not cheap at 1100 dollars now, for 6.

Dave
Old 02-28-2007, 08:55 PM

I have good luck with Wildcat AT 285/75/16. I used to live in Burns and moved out here to IN a few months ago. Tires did great cross country and they do well in the snow/ice. i really wish that there was a Les Schwab out here...
Old 03-01-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by robins
I new there had to be a good reason why not to just no one had explained it to me. Thanks Rick.
Alright any tire suggestions anyone.

How well do M55 do in the soup compared to toyo ATs. I dont really go mudding but i am in and out of fields ALL the time.
Go with the M55's, the AT won't last as long on a heavy truck. The M55's is a better mud tire anyway, larger voids on the shoulder lugs.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:02 PM
CJ

I just got a set of Toyo Open Country M/T's a couple weeks ago. Supposed to last a while. Happy so fay. The only complaint so far is how heavy they are. 68lbs a piece for the 285's. I can tell a difference when braking.
CJ
Old 03-02-2007, 12:21 AM

Bridgestone Dueler Revos, They seem to wear good, and for an All terrain tire they perform great in all conditions.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:15 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I second the m55s i run them on all my trucks for these reasons

Designed for demanding commercial service, the Toyo® M-55 is an ideal choice for any pickup owner requiring solid over-the-road traction.

The M-55 is an all-position or drive axle traction radial designed to deliver versatility and improved mileage with dependable traction on- or off-road. Easily handles rough terrain, mud, and snow. Built to handle the most demanding commercial applications

- Tough, wide steel-belted construction provides tread stability with protection under the tread.

- Aggressive block-and-lug tread design provides (M & S rated) traction with stability and comfort.

- Lug tread design assures dependable traction and a smooth ride.

- M and S Rated

I run a LT235/85R16 10ply tire they have a max weight of 3042lbs
Old 03-04-2007, 06:18 PM

I've never had this issue w/ load range D's ... i've also never towed over 10k ... would i notice a distinct difference under 10k going to E range ?

I'm on a set of dreaded BFG KO's ... and will be replacing them as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
Having run 8 plies for the last 45K miles

i wouldnt run them again. The sidewall flex while towing, OR while making turns is enough to be scary, it feels like my truck is riding on big pillows,

Anyways next tires will be 285 toyo M55's on my current rims, and plan to keep a set of stock rims with 255 goodrich mud terrains. BOth load range E if possible.... no more D range for me..

Rick
Old 03-05-2007, 03:41 PM

What is wrong with the KO's? I have them on a Nissan Frontier 4x4, excellent tire. Many on the site like them as well. I think the only knock is less mud traction than some.
The new Goodyear Silent Armour are new Kevlar technology & have received good marks across the board for all conditions. Most people here seem pleased with their performance.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by supr
What is wrong with the KO's? I have them on a Nissan Frontier 4x4, excellent tire. Many on the site like them as well. I think the only knock is less mud traction than some.
The new Goodyear Silent Armour are new Kevlar technology & have received good marks across the board for all conditions. Most people here seem pleased with their performance.
Nothing is wrong with them, but they are notorious for contributing to death wobble on these trucks.

I run them on my durango with no issues at all, great tires.