2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering Pump & Brakes Very Loud On Cold Morning Starts

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Pump & Brakes Very Loud On Cold Morning Starts

Hi,

I know that this question has probably been posted many times and answered too, but I couldn't really find any specific information on good power steering fluid to use for this particular problem.

I have a 2002 Dodge RAM 4X4 CTD that has a problem with a very loud whining sound when in it started on cold mornings. It's coming from the hydraulic system I'm pretty certain cause it happens when steering wheel is turned & brakes are pushed. It goes away after the truck gets up to normal temperature.

The truck was purchased in Oregon & I had a problem with the truck once before with the power steering fluid getting gummed up & it spewed out all over the ground when i started it one morning. Turned truck off immediately & the dealership had it towed in to fix it. They said that it was a problem with the power steering fluid getting thick & gummed up??? They said they refilled it with synthetic fluid. That was in 2003 though.

Although supposedly it has better fluid it still has a very loud whining nose in the morning that I would like to get rid of.

Can anyone recommend a very good power steering fluid that they use that gets rid of this problem. I've heard of putting lube guard in but I'd rather just change the fluid right now at this point with a better one.

Also, what's the best way to change the fluid out?

Thanks for any information that can be given. I'm sort of new to doing general maintenance on these engines.

Mike
Old 10-13-2008, 05:12 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2001 did the same exact thing.

You plugging in below 40*?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 PM

Hi,

No, I don't plug mine in right now. I now live in Alabama, and the problem still seems to happen when it gets down below 30 or so at night. The colder the noisier. Just doesn't sound healthy to me.

Mike
Old 10-13-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I prefer Lubegard but if you want to change it out Valvoline SynPower is the stuff to use though I'm sure Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, etc all make comparable products.
I use a suction gun (turkey baster works too) to empty the reservoir, refill with desired fluid, drive around for awhile and do it again. By the third time you will be almost 100% new fluid.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
I prefer Lubegard but if you want to change it out Valvoline SynPower is the stuff to use though I'm sure Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, etc all make comparable products.
I use a suction gun (turkey baster works too) to empty the reservoir, refill with desired fluid, drive around for awhile and do it again. By the third time you will be almost 100% new fluid.

Thanks for the post.

If lubeguard protectant is used only do you just recommend removing the power steering fluid necessary and adding the 4oz like they say. Does this really help to stop the problems with the cold starts?

How often is it recommended to change the power steering fluid in these trucks?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-13-2008, 07:37 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstep3
Just doesn't sound healthy to me.
No, I agree, it sounds extremely whiny, almost UN-lubricated.

Infidel is a good source, and from a much colder area, I'd check into what he recommends.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 PM

i had similar problems, and mine even blew the top because the oil would get so thick on cold nights. i flushed the power steering system and replaced with a valvoline synthetic - no problems since!

hth,
jason
Old 10-14-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mstep3

If lubeguard protectant is used only do you just recommend removing the power steering fluid necessary and adding the 4oz like they say. Does this really help to stop the problems with the cold starts?

How often is it recommended to change the power steering fluid in these trucks?

Thanks,
Mike
I've never heard of a recommended interval to change the PS fluid. I just look at it for clarity. If it's clean I leave it alone.
My method must work, never changed the fluid on either of my 13 year old rigs with over 250k on each of them. In fact my '82 Toyota with over 300k has the same PS fluid that came with it new. That's just my system though, I go by the if it's not broke don't fix it philosophy. Certainly no harm in changing it every year if it makes you feel good though.

They all have Lubegard though, I swear by the stuff.
My neighbor had a old Ford beater pickup that you could hear coming from a mile away because of the PS whine. I ran into him at the autoparts and told him about Lubegard, even offered to buy it. We put it in right in the autoparts parking lot, overflowing the reservoir.
No lie it stopped whining within 30 seconds of him starting up and has never whined again.

Better to suck some out rather than overflow the reservoir. I just suck more than enough out out into a clean container, add the Lubegard then top it back up with the fluid I sucked out.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
I've never heard of a recommended interval to change the PS fluid. I just look at it for clarity. If it's clean I leave it alone.
My method must work, never changed the fluid on either of my 13 year old rigs with over 250k on each of them. In fact my '82 Toyota with over 300k has the same PS fluid that came with it new. That's just my system though, I go by the if it's not broke don't fix it philosophy. Certainly no harm in changing it every year if it makes you feel good though.

They all have Lubegard though, I swear by the stuff.
My neighbor had a old Ford beater pickup that you could hear coming from a mile away because of the PS whine. I ran into him at the autoparts and told him about Lubegard, even offered to buy it. We put it in right in the autoparts parking lot, overflowing the reservoir.
No lie it stopped whining within 30 seconds of him starting up and has never whined again.

Better to suck some out rather than overflow the reservoir. I just suck more than enough out out into a clean container, add the Lubegard then top it back up with the fluid I sucked out.

Thanks I appreciate the information. I will try putting the Lubeguard in and try that instead of changing it out. It looks clean to me.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-16-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlackSilver
i had similar problems, and mine even blew the top because the oil would get so thick on cold nights. i flushed the power steering system and replaced with a valvoline synthetic - no problems since!

hth,
jason
what kind of valvoline synthetic ? I've looked up here and havent found any type of Sythetic PS fluid. CT doesnt carry any, where did you get it ?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:10 AM

what kind of valvoline synthetic ?
SynPower is what Valvoline calls their synthetic PS fluid. When I asked if my local Napa could get it they said sure but I'd have to buy a case of 12 quarts because they didn't want to stock it. Some autoparts carry a line of Redline or Royal Purple synthetics which probably include PS fluid.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:14 AM

only valvoline synpower i found was a synthetic motor oil 15W 30 & 10W 30 can any of these be used for PS ?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Diesel
only valvoline synpower i found was a synthetic motor oil 15W 30 & 10W 30 can any of these be used for PS ?
No, you want power steering fluid.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:01 AM

then I cant find any syn PS up here locally. thx
Old 11-02-2008, 09:59 PM

I filled with the Valvoline PS synth and it quieted right down on cold mornings (0F-40F). Then it started leaking PS fluid at the resevoir / pump fitting. :-( Eventually it stopped - I think the synthetic fluid may have had a detergent property that caused it to start leaking - it did stop though..

Quick Reply: Steering Pump & Brakes Very Loud On Cold Morning Starts