2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering Parts List - Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Parts List - Need Opinions

The nice weather is coming and I want to freshen up the steering system on my truck. It's got about 90K on it and I've already replaced the steering linkages (tie rods, etc....) and the track bar within the past 10K but I really need to give the rest of the steering a once over. Of course my first step will be to re-check the parts I've already replaced but here's my list of what I'm going with now:

Cardone Steering Box

DSS Kit

PS High Pressure Hose

PS Return Hose

F & R Bilstein 5100s (for 2" front lift)

2" Front Leveling Blocks

Drop Pitman Arm

Dorman Steering Shaft (maybe)

I figure that while I'm doing the shocks I should install the leveling kit and get the proper length shocks for it. I've got the pitman arm lying around since I had my 1997 CTD 10 years ago so I'll put that on since its here. I don't run the truck hard or off road it so I'm guessing the Cardone box should be good enough for what I'm doing and the lines look kind of crusty plus the new ones are cheap so I'll avoid the headache by doing them too. I've had the DSS lying around for a while now too so I'll toss that at it while I'm in there. I've heard a lot of guys running the Borgesen shaft but the Dorman hasn't come up in any of my searches here. I'm going to do the other stuff and see how it feels, then make a decision on the shaft.

Is there anything I'm missing or overlooking? Any suggestions or opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

John
Old 04-11-2008, 04:24 PM

Anyone at all?
Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 AM

seems like you have it covered pretty well. i will soon be doing dss and sway bar bushings and links myself.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not familiar with the cardone box but i'm satisfied with my 3 turn PSC. Is it a 3 turn with lighter valving like the PSC SG-841M?

I like your pick of 5100 Bilstein shocks. I put in the yellow/blue Bilsteins but have read the 5100's are better.

Get under truck with someone turning steering wheel and check for any movement in tie rod joints and especially each end of track bar. Check the torque on both ends of TB and contol arms.

I also recommend the Solid Steel 3rd gen TB conversion bracket and Solid Steel 3rd gen Adjustable TB (which should work with your 2 in lift). (Edit:The 3rd gen TB totally eliminates a joint on the frame end of TB so no joint to worry about..just a bolt thru bushing on each end). That 3rd gen TB really helped my death wobble along with the NAPA drilled and slotted rotors and the DSS (which you also have...a good mod BTW).

I also replaced the control arm bushings and end link bushings with Energy Suspensionpoly bushings from summittracing.

I also replaced my 2 steering stabilizers with Rancho ones.

I've not touched my steering shaft but have read others with Borgensens that complain they rust quickly and fail...just my obeservation from some reading I've done...not based on experience at all.

Of course go with synthetic power steering fluid like Redline or Royal brand.

Maybe check you Hubs to ensure they are not needing replaced.

Good Luck,
Dave
Old 04-12-2008, 04:24 PM

Thanks. I've gone through the front end as recently as 5K miles ago but I'll check it over again anyway. I did new pads and rotors on the front along with Goodridge SS hoses and looked it over then. I was replacing the rear brake line since the stocker rusted out and figured I'd do the hoses while it was all apart. The track bar is fairly new and has a lifetime warranty so I'm probably not going to upgrade it right now but if I get tired of replacing them I probably will go the 3rd gen route. Thanks for the advice on the steering shaft, hopefully I don't need to do it since the truck has under 90K on it. I'll probably do the swaybar bushings while I'm in there, I thought of it the other day and then forgot to add it to my list. I've yet to get death wobble with this truck but my last CTD did it to me when I first got it. A dual stabilizer kit is on my to do list as are control arm bushings but not until after the maintenance stuff is done.

Thanks.

John