2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering binding at full lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Steering binding at full lock

Having an issue with the steering occasionally binding up at full lock (happens either left or right). If I'm driving forward slowly and turn all the way one direction, when I go to straighten out, I sometimes have to fight to get it to turn back. I'm torn between whether it's just a lack of power assist or something actually binding up. Sometimes I can muscle it back, but usually it's easiest just to back up slightly and start straightening the wheel, then move forward again and finish returning to center. When it happened in my driveway, I looked underneath and didn't see anything in the linkage in a bind.

There are times when I can feel a little drag (or maybe a buzzing feeling) in the steering wheel when turning slightly either way just off center. That's not too repeatable and I haven't found any specific scenario where it happens reliably.

It has a new Redhead steering box and the PS fluid was flushed in the pump when the new box was installed. The fluid level is good when checking cold and hot. Tie rod ends and stabilizer are all relatively new. Alignment is good and checked often.

Would a bad PS pump cause these problems? Or should I be looking deeper in the front end for the cause of the binding?
Old 10-30-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your PS leaking? That is common. I haven't had one go bad on my truck but years ago I had one go bad and it was similar symptoms until it just gave up all together. I'd also check your hydroboost and ensure it isn't leaking too.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine did that when I first got it. Was a bad track bar.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sea:\>Drive
Is your PS leaking? That is common. I haven't had one go bad on my truck but years ago I had one go bad and it was similar symptoms until it just gave up all together. I'd also check your hydroboost and ensure it isn't leaking too.
I have a small PS leak somewhere that I haven't been able to isolate yet. Just a single drip or two that falls from the pitman arm. But the fluid level is good.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Mine did that when I first got it. Was a bad track bar.
The track bar is a 3rd gen conversion and appears to be solid on both ends. I'll have to get under there and check again while someone else turns the wheel.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:57 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Just a long shot but on the 4th gen trucks there was a tie rod end recall because some had been installed incorrectly at the factory and were binding then breaking off at full travel. The tie rod ends need to be centered so they have equal travel. With the wheels straight ahead rotate the tie rod ends to ensure they are equally spaced and give the full amount of rotation.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:17 PM

I loose a few oz's of fluid every few months out of the dipstick cap.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:24 PM

Have you checked the U-joints at the spindles? they can cause binding in the steering as well, I have a bad one right now I need to replace.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by bjytech
Have you checked the U-joints at the spindles? they can cause binding in the steering as well, I have a bad one right now I need to replace.
Any easy checks for bad u-joints?

The truck is probably just headed to the shop for diagnosis since my work schedule isn't allowing for much time to do anything. But I would like to have an idea going in what the problem might be.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:05 PM

if we are talking a u-joint at the axles going straight they wont make much noise or sensation of grind or bind etc. but turning the wheel and during the turn . full turn or partial you would hear if the axle u-joint is bad. also any u-joint that is showing grease and is nice and nasty with grease is a good sign. one that is dry and rust colors those are the ones IMO that have usually failed.

I have never had a bind type of sensation with my steering.
I have had my old PS pump before it was replaced would surge sorta. seemed like it had power and I would get to a certain spot in a full turn and it seemed almost like i had no power steering pressure. then I would move the steering wheel left to right a couple inches only. almost like pressure was being building and then I would be fine. my normal steering on small turns this never did it. it was only on full big turns.

are you leaking fluid between the pump and vacuum pump. common area for this. more common for oil to leak tho. your Vac lines check all rubber lines they become brittle and will cave in and cause vac pull issues which can catribute to hard responsive steering. right dead abouve your fuel filter on the firewall there is rubber tubes/hoses. little that come up I believe mine has 4 ports on the firewall but mine only used 3 . one was capped. so i had 3 rubber hoses . I had a hose that was almost off cause of dry rotting. cheap to replace those with standard tubing from parts store.

mechanical.

if things look fine watching all of the steering and joints as someone was to turn the wheel. and you see no obvious link or joint issue or you dont see the steering shaft wobble weird or steering pump flex due to a crack where it mounts to the frame. see if you can recreate the bind in a circle in your yard and then turn off and then look at the steering linkage and see if in fact anything is contacting something or its self.

you said fluid is at a good level. and a new pump.
fluid new replaced? it does happen but you could have gotten a bad new pump. you didn't have this issue prior to the new pump. How long has the new pump been on.

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 11-02-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 AM

Talking steering issues of hard turning, no return to center

guys after going the replacement route on linkages and steering boxes,,ect,ect.
A mechanic figured it out for me....
it's yur front axle universal joints. mine were changed out 3 years ago. I did em. they were sealed type/non greasable. they were so dried out and frozen.
changed out with napa greasable ones. all back to normal.
pass it on