2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

sport headlights in a non sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think its a relay of some kind, however if you take it into a parts store they should be able to get you a new one.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 AM

Thanks, I thought it might be. Was hoping to find a part number or something online last night. I'll swing by Napa on my home today and see if they have one.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:27 PM

I have the new lights but am waiting on the harness. I do a lot of overnite running and am concerned if these lights will hold up well with long hours at a time. The original lights are a poor excuse for lights and the new ones have to be better. Would like to wax the new ones before installation but don't know what to use. I know plastic is easily scratched but it makes sense to keep them waxed for long life. Do not have the brite box but don't think it would be necessary. Hope the better lights will help get some of the vehicles in the opposite lane to dim theirs, mine don't get any respect. This is a very good post with valuable information. I will post back when my lights are tested and thanks for all the information.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:52 AM

i've run mine for at least 6 hours straight and had no problems.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 PM

Interesting, still debating on whether or not to purchase aftermarket of OEM. OEM is way overpriced but I am concerned with the quality of the after market lights.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by mtkrauss
Interesting, still debating on whether or not to purchase aftermarket of OEM. OEM is way overpriced but I am concerned with the quality of the after market lights.
I bought lights from http://www.importvision.com/index.ph...ype=Headlights and I've had them for a couple years now without any issues. I'd buy them again.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by mtkrauss
I haven't had the aftermarket ones all that long yet (maybe a year and a half), no issues so far, and the fit and finish seemed as good as OEM. Only time will tell, but I think that for the price difference, aftermarket is well worth it for the sport headlights. Considering the difference in lighting, I would not even think of going back to the non sport headlights for any reason...
Old 05-23-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I've run my Depo Sportlights for 6+ hours at a time and had no problems.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 AM

I dont think sterns opinion is with the quality of the build or of the parts of the OEM knock-offs, so much as the quality of light output, at least thats what I gathered from talking to him.(I'm assuming and could be wrong)
I had clear one piece assys(9004's) before and the quality was good and they held up nicely for the amount of use they saw, and no issues with melting or anything like that, I used 80-100watt bulbs in them with no issues, light pattern was OK, far superior to the orginal OEM assys I had, but they did reflect a queer line of light out both sides of the truck, in the ditch inline with the mirrors, rather odd, but after a few days I got used to it, and never thought much about it after that.
things always boil down to price, and this I know for certain, 2 flashlights taped to the hood would be better than the 9004 OEM assys!!
I dont know the price spread between the OEM and the knock offs, but I'm guessing it must be fairly large
Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
If I recall correctly my depo lights were 150. The stock replacements from the dealer were going to be well over 400.00. I think you could save approx 150 by not getting the corner lights but then they dont match the rest of the assembly (different lense). I figured since it isnt my daily driver anymore I could replace them 3 times for the same cost. The light output while it may not be as good as the "real" ones (I dont know as I never had real ones) they are far superior to the 9004 assembly.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Ditto on the Depo's! They put out sooooo much more light than the pathetic factory lights. I can't imagine needing any more light than they put out. I've never felt the need for more light with them, while with the stock ones I was always squinting and slowing down and wondering, "What the heck is that in the road up ahead??"
Old 01-06-2011, 12:56 PM

AS for polishing plastic lenses....use a quality High UV blocking polish,put on a good 4 coats,then do them again when you polish vehicle.

I live in sunny Calif and park in the desert.In 10 years my Jetta plastic lenses are as clear as the day I bought it new,UV blocking polish on plastic lenses really works well,no yellow fogging here.Though I see 5 year old jettas with hazed over lenses.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can use Meguiar's PlastX, its made especially for headlights/plastic parts polish. Then go over with wax.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are these sport lights?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...Q5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
No they aren't. They look like just cheap "ricer style" lights made to look whizzy and reduce performance from stock. The smoked lenses would greatly reduce light output. Also, they only utilize a single headlamp bulb, and the supplied wiring adapters are to let you plug these lamps into a Sport truck that has two connectors per side.

These are Sport headlamps, but they may be a cheaper "knockoff brand". Also, I wouldn't recommend using their wiring adapters as they have no relays. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-02...Q5fAccessories

Quick Reply: sport headlights in a non sport