2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Scratched Chrome Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scratched Chrome Bumper

Some fool stepped on the bumper. Now it has scratches. I have tried using Mothers metal polish and an orbital polisher but it doesn't get it. Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2004, 05:12 AM

Cool

If the scratches are deep then nothing will get them out, chrome is only microns deep and once it is scratched its scratched. You can polish them with a Dremmel or similar using jewelers rouge so that they dont stand out as much, I would also wax the scratches when you wax the truck or cover them with clear nail warnish to stop them rusting, they wont cause any major rust problems but I feel that you are the same as me and dont think our trucks are just tools they are scratch free, clean machines.

Hope this helps Kurt
Old 07-26-2004, 09:11 AM

The scratches aren't deep. They aren't deep enough to get below the plating. It's just that I see it every time I open the tailgate.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:57 AM

Try the Dremmel or similar with a very fine grade polishing paste or rouge stick that might do but take your time, I dont think you'll ever get rid all together but anything is an improvement right.

Good luck
Kurt
Old 07-26-2004, 11:28 AM

I'm very sensitive about scratches too.....but isn't it a TRUCK? Didn't you buy it to USE it? I'm not saying that I dump a ton of broken concrete in the bed, but I wouldn't loose a lot of sleep over a scratch in the bumper.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by 2manykids
I'm very sensitive about scratches too.....but isn't it a TRUCK? Didn't you buy it to USE it? I'm not saying that I dump a ton of broken concrete in the bed, but I wouldn't loose a lot of sleep over a scratch in the bumper.
Well. There you go.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:21 AM

Well we did say that some wouldnt see it our way! And no it is not just a truck, if it was we would not have registered with everyone else on this site to some of us they are prized items that have cost us a lot of money and we are allowed to loose sleep over scratches.

Kurt
Old 07-27-2004, 06:11 AM

I agree that we pay alot for our toys (too much if you want to be honest), but you have to expect to have accidents happen. I've only had one "new" car in my 20 years of driving, and I cried when I got my first scratch. 25+ cars, and 4 kids later, I've learned that there are more important things to cry over. Sorry if I offended anyone with my take on the situation.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not saying that I dump a ton of broken concrete in the bed
Guilty! Well, half a ton, anyway. I don't worry too much about the inside of the bed; there's alway LineX for that when it gets too shabby.

I'm not sure about chrome scratches, though. It's a lot harder than paint. The Dremel and jeweler's rouge suggestion might work.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:45 AM

I agree that we pay alot for our toys (too much if you want to be honest), but you have to expect to have accidents happen. I've only had one "new" car in my 20 years of driving, and I cried when I got my first scratch. 25+ cars, and 4 kids later, I've learned that there are more important things to cry over. Sorry if I offended anyone with my take on the situation.
No offense taken here!

You'll have to realize that I just came from a truck show. Anyone who has never had the feeling that they wish their trucks could look like some in the show, just wouldn't understand.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:06 AM

No offence here, I've just come back from a show which was washed out and it was looking pretty good for trophies to. Anyway there's always next month.

Kurt