2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Replacement steel brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement steel brake lines?

Hello all, I just bought a 2002 2500 from my uncle who bought it new and on the way home I blew one of the steel lines to the front drivers tire. Does anyone know of a place that sells pre bent kits to replace all the steel lines. When I was looking for the leak I noticed that most of the other lines were getting crunchy and figured by the time I fixed the bad one at least one more would break on me. Any suggestions on where to find them or am I just going to have to make them myself? Thanks in advance. Stewart
Old 08-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Most auto parts stores such as NAPA sell brake lines in different lengths. You have to bend to fit the brake lines to your vehicle. All brake lines are double flare. If you cut any lines you need to have a double flaring tool. Brake lines bending tools are also available for those sharp bends that may kink the line if tool is not used. Get yourself some brake line wrenches so you do not round off the fittings when removing and installing new lines. Many good video's on You tube to show you how to bend brake lines. Not hard to do but brake system needs to be bleed afterwards and all connections checked to make sure you have no leaks. Follow procedure for bleeding brake system.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by diesel cowboy
Does anyone know of a place that sells pre bent kits to replace all the steel lines
Here you go........there may be others as well, these are just a couple I knew about.

http://www.classictube.com/

http://www.inlinetube.com/
Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
My advice, if you aren't going to get rid of the truck anytime soon, is to get a 25' roll (about $40 last time I got one) of nickel-copper alloy line, I think it's called conifer or something like that. It will pretty much never corrode through, bends very easy by hand, flares easy, etc. For the cost of the line, fittings/adapters and a flare kit if you don't have one you are still ahead of the game and will have line left over to do more. JMO!
Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have all the tools required to make the lines at work, I just dont want to if I dont have to. I've done it before on three previous trucks I've had. Thats why I was asking if anyone knew of a place to get a premade set. I looked at classictube.com and all they list is the three rubber lines. And inlinetube.com doesnt go new enough in their listings. I'm also hesitant to order anything from them because I ordered from them before for my '92 D250 and when I got the lines they were for the gas jobs only and when I called to find out if the wrong ones were sent by mistake I was told that I got what they had and it fit both gas and diesel. It wouldnt and was missing a couple lines that my truck had so I got stuck with a $200 set of lines cause they wouldnt take them back. Stewart