2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Rear brakes not working?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear brakes not working?

I noticed a few days ago that it takes more pedal to bring my truck to a stop and that the front wheels have more brake dust on them than normal. I checked the rear drums after a run and found them to be ice cold. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if it was the master cylinder causing the trouble or the rear proportioning valve that is the culprit.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jason
Old 12-11-2003, 11:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:Rear brakes not working?

Do you have the rear disc or drums?

Mike
Old 12-11-2003, 11:35 AM

I have rear drums and no ABS, just rear anti lock on the truck.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:06 PM

I have the rear discs, but my fronts dusted more as they came closer to wearing out. Have you replaced the back without adjusting them properly? I don't know about the rears if they are self adjusting, but if they aren't, travel in reverse and apply the e-brake a couple times.

Mike
Old 12-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The self adjusters on the rear are a joke. :
Self-Adjuster= plan on adjusting them yourself.

I've developed a habit of pulling the rear drums when I do an oil change, cleaning out the dust, and usually turning the rear adjusters by hand at least 10 clicks, (one time it took 18 clicks) until the drum just slides on without dragging.
You'll be amazed at how much better the truck will stop. ;D

BTW dually drums are heavy!
The following users liked this post:
Russ Roth (07-17-2017)
Old 12-11-2003, 03:42 PM

I agree with shovelhead, self adjusters work only in perfect conditions(which pretty much means never). They have nothing to do with the Emergency brake system, which is mechanical, or a system of cables, springs, and levers, and yes, this applies to e brakes on rear disc also. Disc brakes are NOT adjustable. The only thing evident as disc brakes wear is your brake fluid level will decrease.

If your rear brakes are not working, you need to pull the drum off, and like the man said, adjust them until they slightly drag when re-installing the drum. For rear disc brakes, the only adjustment would be to a cable or lever that might press on the caliper piston. In some cases your rear rotor will have a hollow inner center that houses your e-brake system. It will have its own set of pads, and look very similar to a drum brake set-up.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:06 PM

Magnum is correct about the e-brakes on disc setup. They are inside the hub. The big thing with these is to make sure the spring on the cable where it enters the backplate, is not gummed up. Taking the hub off the drum brake is the best way to adjust them.

Mike
Old 12-11-2003, 09:00 PM

The rear brakes are adjusted as close as they can be. I took the proportioning valve off and the rear abs control solenoid block off as well and drained them. After reinstalling both and setting the P valve so its provides more braking to the rear it made a big improvement. I had this same problem over the summer where the brake pedal would go really hard and then as you pushed on it all of a sudden you had breaks big time! When the wife was in the truck she would fly forward in the seat when they finally kicked in she didnt think it was funny but I alway had to chuckle under my breath when she did that.

I will run it for awile and see how it does but its not the rear shoe adjustment, i know that for a fact.

Thanks for all the replys ppl.

Jason
Old 12-13-2003, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try using your emergency foot brake. All of us who don't have automatics use it all the time. It will keep the rear brakes right on top of the drums.

Dave
Old 12-14-2003, 04:40 PM
ejb

Mine are just the opposite.When I first take off down the driveway in the mornings or across the parking lot after work,the first couple of low speed stops will either skid the brakes or throw you forward.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:33 AM

dodge ram 3500 brakes

brakes are not working properly have pressure just not enough new mater cylinder and all brakes have been bled still going to floor but will stop
update also replaced hydroboost still no pedal any help apreciatted