2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Power windows and lock switches

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power windows and lock switches

When I bought my 96, the driver side power door lock switch would not work. All other power options, buttons and accessories worked perfect. If I keep wiggling it between the open/lock positions it will sometimes work after 30 or 40 toggles between open and close. However, the passenger side door switch would always lock and unlock both doors fine. I figured that I just needed to replace that driver side power door lock switch. A few months goes by and now the passenger side power door lock switch only intermitently works. More often it works when locking rather than unlocking. Just tonight I began seeing the power window switch (about half the time) only operate the window down so I need to sometimes roll it up using the driver side switch. Do I just need to bite the bullet and replace these original 16 year old switches? Do the plug/connections to the switches sometime become loose and result in intermittent operation? Do I have another issue perhaps?
Old 09-30-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
They get wet because of the window pillar shape, then corrode.

I would bet its the switches wearing out or losing contact. Sometimes guys take them apart and clean/lube them and they get a few more years out of them.

This didn't work with my power seat switch though...
Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
They get wet because of the window pillar shape, then corrode.

I would bet its the switches wearing out or losing contact. Sometimes guys take them apart and clean/lube them and they get a few more years out of them.

This didn't work with my power seat switch though...
Definately worth a try before replacing I suppose. Are the switches accessible/removable by taking out the plastic cup door handle piece right behind them? I hope the door panels don't have to come out to just replace the switches.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:47 PM

my '03 had the power window door lock switch panel get wet from the window being open a tiny bit and it rained, water ran down and came in and they did the same kinda thing. I pulled the door panel, took some contact cleaner and sprayed each one from underneath and worked the crap out of it a couple dozen times each and they haven't given me any trouble since. Certainly cheaper than replacing.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
If I remember, they clip in with a couple metal spring clips, probe with a flat screwdriver around the edges carefully......
Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
If I remember, they clip in with a couple metal spring clips, probe with a flat screwdriver around the edges carefully......
Ok, thanks. Sounds like the plastic cup door handle piece may not have to come out then to put them out from behind.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:13 AM

It is easier if you pull the pull cup. The switch panel has spring clip at either end that can be pushed in with a small flat blade driver or some thin material.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM

window switch

Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
When I bought my 96, the driver side power door lock switch would not work. All other power options, buttons and accessories worked perfect. If I keep wiggling it between the open/lock positions it will sometimes work after 30 or 40 toggles between open and close. However, the passenger side door switch would always lock and unlock both doors fine. I figured that I just needed to replace that driver side power door lock switch. A few months goes by and now the passenger side power door lock switch only intermitently works. More often it works when locking rather than unlocking. Just tonight I began seeing the power window switch (about half the time) only operate the window down so I need to sometimes roll it up using the driver side switch. Do I just need to bite the bullet and replace these original 16 year old switches? Do the plug/connections to the switches sometime become loose and result in intermittent operation? Do I have another issue perhaps?
You must remove the door panel and remove the switch assy. Bring the switch assy in the house, get some black electricial tape and cut several small squares, use these as shims under the contact points. The problem is not from water, it is that the contact points wear down. This is what I did and it has been over three years now with no problems. You could purchase a new switch assy from a aftermarket dealer or Dodge for something around $100.00. Hope this helps.
Dodge designed the system very simple. Just be careful that the switches do not come apart. They are not that hard to reassemble.
You should be able to research this problem on this forum with a few responses.
Good Luck.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM

You can go to Amazon and enter DS-1162. Of course check to be sure it fits your year. Cost about $37. Remove the cover piece and reuse. You only get the switch!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
use a small flat blade screw driver at the front and rear of the switch assem. then unplug the wires. there are small tabs to pry the old switch apart once you have the switch open you will see how it works ,a light sanding and dielectric grease on the contacts and reassemble it should work again . just be careful the plastic is old and brittle and you might be buying a new switch any ways
Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by rebal
use a small flat blade screw driver at the front and rear of the switch assem. then unplug the wires. there are small tabs to pry the old switch apart once you have the switch open you will see how it works ,a light sanding and dielectric grease on the contacts and reassemble it should work again . just be careful the plastic is old and brittle and you might be buying a new switch any ways
I will give that a try before I buy new ones. We are talking about 2nd gen switches for a 96, correct?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I will give that a try before I buy new ones. We are talking about 2nd gen switches for a 96, correct?
yes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by D2 Cat
You can go to Amazon and enter DS-1162. Of course check to be sure it fits your year. Cost about $37. Remove the cover piece and reuse. You only get the switch!
Those switches say they are for '99 and newer 2nd gens but I think the only difference between those and the '94-'98 is the newer ones have lighting.
They sure look the same anyways.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:53 AM

From what I can tell the DS-1296 is the part number for the switch. However, I have seen that switch referred to as the power door lock switch and power window switch. Does the same switch get installed for the windows and locks?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
From what I can tell the DS-1296 is the part number for the switch. However, I have seen that switch referred to as the power door lock switch and power window switch. Does the same switch get installed for the windows and locks?
Yes, it's a one piece unit.
Never looked close but imagine you could take it apart if you only wanted to use one switch.

Quick Reply: Power windows and lock switches