2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Overhead console map lights

Old 04-10-2008, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check with your local auto wrecker, i got two complete assemblies for $20.
Cheers!
Old 05-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heyuns,

Following up on bobg333's comment, I did some research last night on the Judco Mfr website - which lead me to Digi-Key's website (I got the impression that Judco didn't deal in small orders).

At any rate, I called both called Judco and Digi-Key today. Judco didn't return my call yet, but I found this switch on the Digi-Key website:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=527PB-ND

(I didn't measure the original switch to compare to the product data sheet, so they may not fit...)

But since Digi-Key only charged about $2 per switch and I should receive them in a week, I took a chance and ordered two switches. They appear to be close to the originals and will need to be spliced in, but I will post again as to whether they "fit" into the stock switch slots and function correctly.

Gil
The following users liked this post:
AMPd488 (11-26-2019)
Old 05-12-2009, 02:51 PM

you might try www.rockauto.com
Old 05-14-2009, 11:11 AM

Thanks Tbrunson -I looked on the Rockauto Site, but didn't see anything for the dome light switches ...

Following up on my phone call to Judco Manufacturing, they called me back last night and left a message that they would replace the switch for $24 each if I:

1.) Mailed the switch(es) to them,
2.) Included $24 per switch in a check or money order form,
3.) Included a note indicating the switch(es) purpose and what vehicle it came from.

So - I can confirm everything bobg3333 said - not that any of us doubted him...

At any rate, I am still waiting on the two switches from Digi-Key before I think about sending Judco $48 and my broken switches.

Gil
AMPd488 (11-26-2019)
Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 PM

Eureka !

Great News !!

I've been a little busy lately, but the two switches I ordered from Digi-Key arrived a couple weeks ago and guess what...

They were a PERFECT replacement for the stock overhead console light switches. Of course I had to cut the old ones off and splice in the new.

I couldn't be happier. Aside from shipping costs ($7.00), it was a $4.32 fix ! We all know how expensive these trucks can be, so it was nice to fix something perfectly for such a small cost.

Take a look at the pictures I uploaded ~

I plan on calling Digi-Key and ordering about 4 more so I have em the next time my wife clicks the overhead light too hard, lol.
Attached Thumbnails Overhead console map lights-dscf0089.jpg   Overhead console map lights-dscf0091.jpg  
AMPd488 (11-26-2019)
Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 PM

Cool thanks for posting this.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:59 PM

overhead console

Got a used one from one of the diesel sites, think it was TDR, then had had to find the wiring harness, found out the harness was bad, got that too. Dodge does not have these parts for mine!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:18 PM

I bought the swicth from Radio Shack for $3.19 plus tax. It does same thing as factory one, light up when door open, and one click on , another click off.
Part # 275-1555 in case some one need the swicth, hope it help
Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 PM

JB Weld. It `will hold it permanantly. Or, new micro switches from radio shack.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ABRNRNGR13

I couldn't be happier. Aside from shipping costs ($7.00), it was a $4.32 fix ! We all know how expensive these trucks can be, so it was nice to fix something perfectly for such a small cost.
I called digikey and was able to get cheaper shipping. They offer Usps parcel post. It was just over $2 for shipping 4 switches. I joined the forum because of this helpful post and felt obligated to pass on that tip in return.
The following 2 users liked this post by Andys52willys:
04ctd (02-11-2018), AMPd488 (11-26-2019)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Flashman
Mine broke, so I bypassed the POS push switches, and mounted a toggle switch through the grey housing.
I trying to do this but cant get it right. I have tried just about every combination possible between the yellow pink and black wires to a three pole toggle switch with an LED light on the end of the toggle.. when I have the connector plugged in the mapping lights come on and stay on no matter what combination put together and I have blown through some size 10 fuses in the number 12 spot so I switched to 25 size fuse while I figure this out. I have all the doors shut and the dimmer in the correct position and I know the dimmer works because I can turn the dome light and cargo lights off and on. I'm screwing something up but I can't figure out what? Am I using the correct colors? Do I need to cut one of the two pinks that go into the LED bulbs? I know this is an old Post but any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
Old 03-15-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The wiring on our trucks is kind of goofy. You must be connecting a hot wire to a ground. The only way to really figure it out is with a multimeter and some time. I just changed mine out to the digikey switches and everything is stock and working.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
The wiring on our trucks is kind of goofy. You must be connecting a hot wire to a ground. The only way to really figure it out is with a multimeter and some time. I just changed mine out to the digikey switches and everything is stock and working.
thank you I figured out what I had done wrong I'm not a pro but I'm also not a rookie I've tinkered with this and that and I assumed that all the black wires we're all ground wires so I combined all the black into one well when I went back and looked at the original switch there are two black wires coming out of each switch and then the yellow. I assumed wrong because those black wires that I merged we're not all grounds. So the correct wiring ended up being yellow to power the black ground-to-ground and the black wires coming out of the original switches i merged into one wire and connected into the ACC spot on my toggle switch. Now the lights work perfectly coming on when the door is opened shutting off when the timer clicks off when the door is shut just like the dome light and also shutting off when the key is turned on. The LED comes on when the light goes off which is what I was hoping for. And the switch obviously works fine now that it's wired correctly I can turn the lights off and on with the toggle switch. I wired both lights to one switch because I didn't care if both came on at the same time or just one it didn't matter to me. I appreciate the reply. I hope this helps someone else.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ABRNRNGR13
Great News !!

I've been a little busy lately, but the two switches I ordered from Digi-Key arrived a couple weeks ago and guess what...

They were a PERFECT replacement for the stock overhead console light switches. Of course I had to cut the old ones off and splice in the new.

Take a look at the pictures I uploaded ~

I plan on calling Digi-Key and ordering about 4 more so I have em the next time my wife clicks the overhead light too hard, lol.
Can you tell us what wires you connected to the new switch? The colors don't match with the stock wiring colors.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The switches from Digi Key arrived today. They are just the ticket. Two of them for $8 including shipping.
04ctd (02-11-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overhead console map lights