Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Overhead console map lights (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/overhead-console-map-lights-200216/)

AggieJustin 04-08-2008 10:18 PM

Overhead console map lights

I've got a broken switch in my passenger side map light. Has anyone ever tried to get parts from Dodge for this?

http://www.jmers.com/images/DSC01248.JPG

Basically the plastic top of the switch pops off and all of the legs that are supposed to secure it are broken. I've used super-glue to hold it on before, but that is starting to fail now.

I figure that getting just the switch is out of the question, but I'm hoping I can replace just the assembly that holds the lights and switches.

Anyone tried before?

high bid 04-09-2008 07:57 AM

can't remember what I did on my last truck...I think I used JB weld....and it held out till I sold it.

91rangerturbo 04-09-2008 08:20 AM

Mine are broken too. thanks for posting that picture i need to fix mine this evening now that you mention it.

blackimpala 04-09-2008 10:03 AM

I rebuilt the broken legs w/epoxy something like JB Weld. It came in stick form. kneaded it intill mixed formed a new leg let it cure pilot drilled hole for screw reinstalled switch. Has held well for over a year.

bobg333 04-09-2008 05:46 PM

me too

Aggiejustin,
I've got the same problem. Let us know if you find a source for the switch without buying the whole shebang.

bobg333 04-09-2008 06:03 PM

Breaking News!

I live a few miles from the factory that makes the switch, so I gave them a call. They will replace the switch for $24. Send the bad switch and a check or moneyorder in a padded envelope to:
Customer Service
Judco Mfg Co
1429 W 240th St
Harbor City CA 90710

That's a lot for a little switch, but it's gotta be way less than the dealer.

95dodgectd 04-09-2008 06:22 PM

mine are also broken on my 2nd gen and my dealer said and showed me the pc monitor where it said discountinued, and no dealer in the us had the console which is what you would replace if it was from the dealership, i do have a used one that im selling with the compass,and ambient temp sensor and the lights are in perfect condition. i learned the hardway if you don't have the compass/temp sensor the lights will not just switch over different wiring setup.

renopker 04-09-2008 08:05 PM

Hot melt glue gun

rebal 04-09-2008 08:42 PM

the switches are trash I wired in a pull switch the factory one are made to last
just off the lot[verymad]

Dangerous Dave 04-10-2008 07:24 AM

Related questions. I figure it's better than starting a new thread.

My Dad drives an '01 1500 and my Uncle just got an '01 2500 Cummins.
Both trucks are rather abused.

Neither truck has any interior lights via door opening or switching. And the 2500 has no outside running lights. 4 ways work and I presume brake lights work although I was testing by myself. I replaced 3 blown fuses and it made no difference.

When you turn the headlight switch to park, the dash board dings at you.

I'd really like a heads up on how to get the interior lights up in the 1500.

blackimpala 04-10-2008 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by blackimpala (Post 2035148)
I rebuilt the broken legs w/epoxy something like JB Weld. It came in stick form. kneaded it intill mixed formed a new leg let it cure pilot drilled hole for screw reinstalled switch. Has held well for over a year.

I tried the hot glue gun before the epoxy, didn't hold. With as many switches that are breaking I don't think I would replace it. Try the epoxy, you can always do the new switch later.

Flashman 04-10-2008 05:15 PM

Mine broke, so I bypassed the POS push switches, and mounted a toggle switch through the grey housing.

AggieJustin 04-10-2008 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Flashman (Post 2037570)
Mine broke, so I bypassed the POS push switches, and mounted a toggle switch through the grey housing.

Hmmm....interesting option. I'll have to see what I can find are far as small switches go.

Dangerous Dave 04-10-2008 06:30 PM

Bump (for my question)

atc250r 04-10-2008 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave (Post 2037655)
Bump (for my question)

You're probably much better off starting your own thread rather than hi-jacking this one.

On topic, I had mine break and I melted the plastic back together. I heated up a flathead screwdriver on the stove and used it like a soldering iron to melt the pieces back together. Its been good for a couple of years but I'm very gentle when turning the map lights on now.

John