2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

non power seat to power seat swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 09:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
non power seat to power seat swap

I am buying a power seat from another Dodge truck to install into my NON power seat Dodge truck
My truck is a 2001 QC Dually
I am going to a boneyard to get a dodge power seat to install.
Is this a snap to do?
I know the seats will probably bolt in easy as pie.
But it is the wiring that I am wondering about.
Any advice or tips?
Thanks!
Dave
The following users liked this post:
Charlesj82 (01-24-2020)
Old 06-22-2005, 10:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have read on another site that the wiring ties into the air bags and the BCM, so you should hope to find the harness you need under the carpet. No bets on it being there, but it is possible. If it isn't, I suggest you get your hands on some good wiring diagrams to figure out what you will need before you buy that seat. In theory, you should just need 12v and a ground, but it may not be that simple once you get in there.
Another thing you might want to do is get the harness that connected to the power seat your are buying, as much of it as you can, so you will have something to work with. The boneyard will usually throw that in for free.

Chris
Old 06-22-2005, 11:05 PM

well I hope that it is as simple as pulling a pigtail out from under the carpet!
I thought the single wire (12v) plus ground would be a simple hookup.
And I hope it is.
Well we will see in a day or two.
Thanks!
Old 06-23-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did that in my truck. Fairly easy to do even without the entire the wiring harness. Had to run power & ground to the seat motors, and key-on power to hte seat belt controller.
The new seat will have an extra pigtail coming from it going to a box under the center consol, you will need this.
I found an excellent wiring diagram on this site, do a search on power seats and you should find it.
GOod Luck!
-D
Old 06-23-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by drafalske
I just did that in my truck. Fairly easy to do even without the entire the wiring harness. Had to run power & ground to the seat motors, and key-on power to hte seat belt controller.
The new seat will have an extra pigtail coming from it going to a box under the center consol, you will need this.
I found an excellent wiring diagram on this site, do a search on power seats and you should find it.
GOod Luck!
-D
Well I'm a goin' junkin!
Thanks!
Dave
Old 06-24-2005, 03:30 PM

I'm also thinking about doing this. My '99 had the power seats but the '00 doesn't. After having back surgery in '02, I enjoyed the adjustable lumbar support and the ability to move the seat up and down to help ease stiff muscles on long drives. What prices have you found in your area for the power seats?
Old 06-24-2005, 04:51 PM

Why buy dodge seats, just put new gm seats in my dodge. They make the best seats in the truck world, and was a simple mod.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by F. Flack
I'm also thinking about doing this. My '99 had the power seats but the '00 doesn't. After having back surgery in '02, I enjoyed the adjustable lumbar support and the ability to move the seat up and down to help ease stiff muscles on long drives. What prices have you found in your area for the power seats?
I have found one set for $250.00
trout cloth
I have the trout cloth right now,but am thinking of grey leather.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by coiler33
Why buy dodge seats, just put new gm seats in my dodge. They make the best seats in the truck world, and was a simple mod.
Sorry .....But
I would never EVER put ANYTHING GM in my DODGE!
I would rather sit on an old weathered wooden crate than have a new GM seat.
Sorry...I just can't stand Chevys or anything related to them.
Pentastar Power runs in my veins!
My Dad drives MOPAR,my brothers and sister drive MOPARS,My wife drives MOPAR,
MY GOOD friends all drive MOPAR.
And hopefully my kids will see the light and go ALL Mopar as well.
The following users liked this post:
Charlesj82 (01-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2005, 07:34 PM

Look under the seat you have now and see if there is an unused plug there, if its there (it should) all you need need is the seat and the circuit breaker that goes in the fuse box. I put a power seat in my old truck(an'01) and it already had all the wiring in place. the seat is NOT connected to the airbags or any thing else, it just has a power and ground. BTW the seat is constant hot, it is not key controlled.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by DR3500
Look under the seat you have now and see if there is an unused plug there, if its there (it should) all you need need is the seat and the circuit breaker that goes in the fuse box. I put a power seat in my old truck(an'01) and it already had all the wiring in place. the seat is NOT connected to the airbags or any thing else, it just has a power and ground. BTW the seat is constant hot, it is not key controlled.
well what you just said is exactly what I wanted to hear!
I can't wait to get to the salvage yard tomorrow!
Old 06-25-2005, 12:41 AM

you are welcome! FYI the cb for the pwr seat is the forward silver one in the bottom of the dash fuse box. do you have the plug under your seat?
Old 06-27-2005, 05:18 PM

you are welcome! FYI the cb for the pwr seat is the forward silver one in the bottom of the dash fuse box. do you have the plug under your seat?
well there is a small plug under the seat,but it seems to be for the seat belt.
I went to a junkyard today and found a seat (electric) in a 1999 Dodge Sport Gasser.
It had like a NINE tab plug!
Part of it went to some small box under the console.
Also the pigtail that came from the rocker area on mine only had 3 or 4 wires. The 99 had like
9 wires.
It looked like a great opportunity to smoke a BCM...so I left it alone.
I am going to look at a 2001 seat tomorrow.
My truck has the CB already in for the seats.
I am thinking that some of the extra wiring is for Lumbar support systems.
I may wind up bringing a pillow for that next road trip..
I HOPE NOT!!
Old 06-27-2005, 06:28 PM

was the 99 a laramie? if it was the switches for the seat heaters are in the dash, that could account for the additional wiring. you have the plug for the seat if I remember correctly, the seat belt wiring plug is the one you need( the seatbelt switch doesn't need more than one or two wires. you have to get one with the same trim level as yours. the lumbar controls are all in the seat and take power from the same wires as the other seat controls so they don't account for the additional wiring.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:19 PM

was the 99 a laramie? if it was the switches for the seat heaters are in the dash, that could account for the additional wiring. you have the plug for the seat if I remember correctly, the seat belt wiring plug is the one you need( the seatbelt switch doesn't need more than one or two wires. you have to get one with the same trim level as yours. the lumbar controls are all in the seat and take power from the same wires as the other seat controls so they don't account for the additional wiring.
The truck said "sport" on the hood

Quick Reply: non power seat to power seat swap