2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

No Low Beams!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Low Beams!?!

Hello All,

Over the past few days I've been thinking that my low-beams seem dim while my high beams put out nice bright white light.

I thought it might have been due to my hazy headlamp lenses but this morning I realized that there is no change in aim or brightness when I switch on my headlights.

I hadn't noticed before because I sub-consciously pull the **** to turn on my fog lights when I turn on the headlights... which translates into an increased amount of light in front of the truck... this morning, for whatever reason, I didn't turn on my fog lights and determined that there is no change between my daytime running lights and my "low beams".

When I google the problem I see many similar cases, but have yet to see anyone post the root cause of the problem or the solution.

Does anyone who has been through this care to share the root cause?

Just to clarify a few things:

- Sport model with quad headlights
- All bulbs have been checked
- Canadian model with daytime running lights
- no other symptoms (high beam indicator works, park brake application turns off DTRL, etc.)

One post I read said that his problem stemmed from a poor connection in the steering column (lights went on and off when steering wheel moved up or down). I haven't done any investigating yet (beyond the bulbs) and am hoping to find a starting point.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by North_of_55; 09-28-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling mistake!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:23 AM

Multifunction!

Answered my own question this morning... it's the multifunction switch!

While driving into work I turned my high-beams off for a passing car and my low beams came on.

They seem to come on every 4th or 5th cycle of the high-beam switch.

A few months back I had no high-beams and had to take the MF switch apart and clean contacts (heavily corroded/arc'd). There was one area that that was damaged from arcing. I'd be willing to bet that it relates to my low beams!

I guess I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Dave
Old 09-29-2011, 11:24 AM

i was going to suggest looking into the MF switch . . .

another thing you can do while you are it, if you have the time, is to build a relayed headlight harness. this takes the power to the bulbs from running thru the switches. the switches essentially become triggers for the relays, which are powered directly from the battery, and the relays power the bulbs.

it is a pretty time consuming project if you make your harness from scratch, but - there are pre-made harnesses available from suvlights.com

it's worth looking into - you will notice increased light output, but maybe not as much as someone without sport lights. plus, if you wanted too, you could safely run higher wattage bulbs. well, safer for the electrical system anyway - for oncoming traffic not so much - but you can find bulbs which are higher wattage on the high beam side only . . .
Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 AM

by the way . . . 'MF' in my previous post stands for 'multi-function' . . . . not 'mother ________' hahaha
Old 09-29-2011, 01:15 PM

Thaaat´s right, WHEN IT IS WORKING that is.....

Slev