2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

new bumper in progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnite
When you're done you should get a bumper sticker that says,

"YOU are my crumple zone"

I'd love that bumper sticker - on a vehicle that was at fault & ran into me. I'd call it intentional & sue the Edit out of them. Cell phones can document a lot. Actually crumple zones let people walk away. It is much easier to buy a new truck than scrape your brain off the bumper. Unfortunately, a hit can fubar the people compartment on our trucks. More Edit poor design on Dodge's part.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The only issue I see comes from my BIL, who worked at a body shop for years. That thin as Edit bumper may seem flimsy, but it would absorb alot of an impact. Now your frame will bear it all and most likely any ding with any kind of force involved will kill your entire truck. He saw it many many times. Especially with the big pipe bumpers welded directly to the frames.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 AM

That looks really good. Any chance of getting a drawing of it? I'd like to copy it if possible for my truck.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rear-ended a car a few years ago in my truck. I had a 3" lift on it at the time. The car was just ruined.. I wound up in his back seat. The only damage I had was some scrapes in the plastic trim under the stock bumper, and it lifted the bumper a little on the mounts which put a crease in the condenser behind it. Think I needed a new grill too. That was cheap.

Looking at the mounts they dont appear to be really strong. But the boxed frame behind them may be. You may want to reinforce the mounts so they dont rotate like mine did. But, make sure they are weaker than the frame, for obvious reasons

If you decide to put liner on something like that, Id pre-treat it with some phosphoric acid to make sure theres no trace of rust or moisture under the coating. That stuff has worked really well for me.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 PM

Few progress pics. I welded and ground the ends, and modified the mounts to drop it 5/8" from the head lights. Sanded the surface rust off, and tonight plasma cut the holes for the driving lights. The center hole will get some grating; it's there to allow for some more air to hit the bottom of the radiators. Next: finish welding, grinding, and paint.
Attached Thumbnails new bumper in progress-img_3872.jpg   new bumper in progress-img_3873.jpg   new bumper in progress-img_3874.jpg   new bumper in progress-img_3876.jpg  
Old 11-06-2010, 03:36 PM

Primed with black epoxy primer. Not done but had to get it on the truck for inspection.
Attached Thumbnails new bumper in progress-img_0292.jpg   new bumper in progress-img_0293.jpg   new bumper in progress-img_0294.jpg