2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

What's that clattering noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What's that clattering noise?

We live on a country road; blacktop, but its sorta rough...no potholes, just the road builders weren't too skilled...slight hills and curves....35-45mph speed. When I turn onto the road, I notice a kind of "clattering" metalic-tin noise; kinda like cables slapping together and on metal. Or it also sounds kinda like a brake-caliper is loose. It seems to be coming from driver's half-side of the truck. I've checked the brake cables and even had the brakes checked; all are good. HOWEVER, I do notice that whenever I'm coasting downhill, if I apply just light brake pedal pressure, the clattering is significantly diminished; almost disappears. I've crawled under to see if I can manually jiggle/wiggle anything thing else--just not seeing anything jiggle-able. Could be a loose panel around the fender, but all seems to be tight. Any ideas?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by danalex
We live on a country road; blacktop, but its sorta rough...no potholes, just the road builders weren't too skilled...slight hills and curves....35-45mph speed. When I turn onto the road, I notice a kind of "clattering" metalic-tin noise; kinda like cables slapping together and on metal. Or it also sounds kinda like a brake-caliper is loose. It seems to be coming from driver's half-side of the truck. I've checked the brake cables and even had the brakes checked; all are good. HOWEVER, I do notice that whenever I'm coasting downhill, if I apply just light brake pedal pressure, the clattering is significantly diminished; almost disappears. I've crawled under to see if I can manually jiggle/wiggle anything thing else--just not seeing anything jiggle-able. Could be a loose panel around the fender, but all seems to be tight. Any ideas?
check the left front wheel bearing
Old 11-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by danalex
the big lock nut on the drivers side has loosened......it happened to me
Old 11-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Ok, will do...but if it were the bearing, wouldn't some sort of steering sympton be there too? Just alignment checked last week; twas drifting (slight) to the right, but the alignment fix'd that.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:37 PM

Lock-nut...ok, will chk that too. My mech who does brakes and algnmts should have check that...he's usually pretty good, but everyone misses something sometime...will check--tkx!