2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Looking to buy 3rd gen later this year...but...

Old 02-07-2014, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy 3rd gen later this year...but...

I'm still trying to talk myself into keeping my '95 instead.

Here's my biggest dilemma. I have a club cab...and 3 kids. With all 5 of us in the truck and packed in for a long trip it's crowded...and my 11 year old son is already 5' tall...so it's only going to get more crowded as the kid grows.

I am planning to have about $7K for a down payment on a $12-15K truck around October of this year. I would just finance the rest.

OR...this is where I am fighting with myself...keep my '95 and put a sleeper behind the club cab for one of the kids (or they can rotate) and extra storage. I'm not wanting a big fancy sleeper built...just one I can set behind the cab in the bed to where one of the 3 kids can sit/lay down in it and give the other 2 more room in the back seat. Or my wife can lay down in it and put my 11 year old in the front seat.

The only bad thing is I have low compression on #1 cylinder but don't know why yet. If it's just a valve job I'd be in pretty good shape just getting it done. The truck runs fine other than a noticeable miss at idle (that way for 2 years now). My transmission was nearly new when I bought the truck and it works very well for what I do with it. It gets 16 in town and 20 on the hwy (not towing) and pulled my jeep and trailer (7500 lbs) to Kentucky and back with no trouble. Other than that, leaky power steering, a paint job and some minor interior work it's a solid dirt reliable rig. So I guess I could spend $1K-6K fixing the motor (depending on the issue) and then have to figure out the space issue afterwards OR just put the money down and have a small payment for a couple years on a 3rd gen...BUT also have worry about what if it has issues I don't figure out during a test drive.

I had an '04 3rd gen that I bought new and sold it when I went through a divorce a couple years after I got it. I posted in the 3rd gen forum just for some thoughts on those trucks since mine only had 50K miles on it and the ones I'd be considering now would have 150K plus so I don't know what all to watch out for (beyond the obvious).

So...what would you do? I really do like my '95...and could have it down for a couple weeks (or longer if needed) to get the engine fully dx'd and then repaired and then just do the other things as time goes by. Anyone here with kids have a club cab truck and sleeper (or full shell on the bed)?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:04 AM

Smile

You might consider a used full size topper. That would give you lots of room to spread out in the back. Maybe slider windows and a seal in between. Craigs list has toppers for whatever you want to spend.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I wouldn't risk an unbuckled occupant...it's just not worth it and I am not trying to start a seat belt or not war here, just my opinion. Toppers come apart in roll-overs....

After riding in the back of a ClubCab and also in a 3rd gen 4-door I can tell you, at 6'-3" I'd prefer the 3rd gen back seat if I have to again.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:11 AM

i feel your pain I'm in same issue with my family and my ever growing kid and now still growing Rottweiler. I need more room in the back. I dont always like to take "Fun Family trips" in the wife's Subaru..... come on really.

I say spend some money on cleaning up the truck and sell it.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I too would be apprehensive about having someone riding in a sleeper or topper. It's much too easy to turn a minor accident into a tragedy.

As much as I hate the idea of getting rid of a 12 valve, the fact that it needs engine work and bodywork, and then still wouldn't fit my family comfortably, would probably force me to "upgrade" to a third gen. Whatever you decide, I hope it works out well.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:47 AM

Thanks folks.

I just don't like the idea of putting money into a newer truck when I could fix up mine...but then as stated it isn't a real good idea to have kids in the sleeper etc.

Although...there is an '02 running and driving freightliner FL60 ambulance with the 5.9L for sale here locally...might make a sweet tow rig/camper? Never any money when a project shows itself!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wife and kiddos are hard to haul in my standard cab, love the truck and its turning ratio's but I also need something larger, been eyeballing blown up ford 6.0L crew cabs for a sweet swap... but no time to complete one of those.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by joem
wife and kiddos are hard to haul in my standard cab, love the truck and its turning ratio's but I also need something larger, been eyeballing blown up ford 6.0L crew cabs for a sweet swap... but no time to complete one of those.
I've thought about fixing my motor up and then swapping it...OR swapping a 1st gen (late 70's) crew cab onto my '95 frame. I know it's work but I'd end up about the same $$ (or less) into it. What is really getting me right now is there's a '65 3/4 ton international crew cab for sale close to me...I'd LOVE to swap my motor into that!!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:27 AM

Buy a 6.0 Ford cheap, do the conversion to make the motor dependable and you'll be way ahead money-wise and comfort-wise.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:35 PM

Yeh they are practically giving away those 6.0's. I just bought a 2005 CTD 3500. The creature comforts of a 4 door are awsome. Ive never had anything bigger then a standard cab so I am swimming in space. The 3rd gen is definately nice but I wish I had held out for a manual. I swore Id never buy another auto but this was too good a deal to pass up. Never look a gift horse in the mouth right? Now Im starting to suspect this slushbox. Best of luck with your decision.