2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Im new, and Fuel Level Gauge doesnt move! :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im new, and Fuel Level Gauge doesnt move! :)

Just thought id say hi first... I just purchased a 99 ram 2500, quad cab 4x4 5spd. Its not in the best of shape, but still seems decent for the mileage. (212k).

I have a small list of things to fix, this is the first:

The fuel level gauge always reads full. I thought they filled it up for me at the auto place, but i put 76 miles on it, and it didnt move, so i went to fill up... tick tick tick... put in 26 gallons. So the gauge isnt reading right.

The overhead console does show gas milage-- is that taken from the fuel level vs miles travelled?

Im 100% new to these trucks, but i have some 2.5 turbo dodges so im no stranger to troubleshooting and fixing them!!

What do i look for first?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-18-2005, 11:16 PM

You have a bad sending unit. VERY common on 2nd gen. trucks. Mine was bad in my '98 when I bought it a couple of months ago. The part is like $50 or so. You've got to either drop the tank or pull the bed to get to it. My advice is to track your mileage so you know how low you can take it, get it as low as you dare on fuel, then drop the tank. Pretty easy fix.

John
Old 03-19-2005, 07:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sometimes when the tank is filled to the brim with a high speed pump the sender will get stuck on full. Once the tank is down a bit try laying on the ground and kicking the tank or hit it with a rubber mallet. Try to avoid filling it up into the filler neck.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:02 AM

Have anyone tried to fix on of these sender? Curious...???

We seem to be able to fix all the other little dumb problems but this one... Or is it just a pain the ___ to get to and why no one will try...???
Old 03-19-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by infidel
Sometimes when the tank is filled to the brim with a high speed pump the sender will get stuck on full. Once the tank is down a bit try laying on the ground and kicking the tank or hit it with a rubber mallet. Try to avoid filling it up into the filler neck.

That's exactly what happened to me recently. I've always been in the habit of trying to get as much fuel into the tank as possible. Evidenlty it caused the float to get stuck this time. On my next fill up, I didn't try to top the tank off. Fuel gauge is working again. Hopefully it'll continue to function properly!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the replys!

Ill try to "dislodge" it for now, otherwise ill put up with it for awhile if its that much of a pain to take the tank down.. ill just make a mental note to fill up the tank every 300 miles or so just to make sure i dont run empty..
Old 03-19-2005, 09:59 AM

Been doing the the 350 mile thing since I got my truck a couple years ago. Keep telling myself that one day soon I'll lift the bed and fix it, but just not on the important list.

You do get used to the ding ding ding, but it does get irrating to someone else tho. Keeps the pax limited, so I get to hear the truck instead of yammering.

Ed
Old 03-19-2005, 10:04 AM

ding ding ding? Theres a noise for low fuel? That works even though the sender reports full?.. i must not have run low enough to hear it (pump clicked off at 26 gallons).
Old 03-19-2005, 10:13 AM

Yea, there is a dinger and a light on the dash. But, it is tied to the low end of the guage. You will get to hear it when your guage starts sticking on the empty side.

Maybe you can get around to getting yours fixed before it desides to go that direction. I didn't.

Ed
Old 03-19-2005, 12:17 PM

There IS a fix for the sender. I found the link to the fix on NWBombers.com

I will see if I can find it and post up.

John
Old 03-19-2005, 08:10 PM

Im about half way through fixing a new one now. So far it has been easy. You gota be very carful of all the little plastic parts, but its not hard at all. I'll let you guys know when i put it in.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by 4doogie
Im about half way through fixing a new one now. So far it has been easy. You gota be very carful of all the little plastic parts, but its not hard at all. I'll let you guys know when i put it in.
Please get some pics if you can I would like to add it to my archive of notes...!!!
I know one day it will fail on mine...
Old 03-19-2005, 11:25 PM

Here's a couple fix it's. I've found that repairing one that already doesn't work is a waste of time, it won't last long. You are better off applying the modifications to a new one.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/fuel_sender/sender.htm

http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/fuel...sender-diy.htm
Old 03-19-2005, 11:40 PM

After this last fill up.. its working.. put about 240 miles on it and the gauge is between 1/2 and 3/4.. so seems about right. wierd.
My guess is the next fillup, it will stick on full again! lol
Old 03-20-2005, 12:39 PM

my 99 did the same thing,I dropped the tank and replaced the sending unit,it screws on to the main sending unit housing,a real easy fix,but I am a diesel tech and did it at work on my lunch hour,took about 20 mins.Do be sure to get fuel tank as empty as you can,helps against the mess.

Quick Reply: Im new, and Fuel Level Gauge doesnt move! :)