2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

I have heat again

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NICE!
When I tryed to upload it, the site said it was to big and needed to be resized.
Good Job!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
i just e-mailed it to my photo bucket account and went from there
Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the TDR info. I hope to get my heater core changed today. Is it possible to change the core without evacuating and disconnecting the ac?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselman2300
How did you get the heater core tube hold down off without pulling the box? You have to pull the box off the firewall about 2 inches to get to the one screw that holds the tubes down, considering the hold down is UNDER the cowl.
I didn't have to loosen the heater box at all. I just took the bolt's out that hold the heater core in place. I took a saw-zall and cut the tubes off and pulled it straight up and out.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by s-cube
Thanks for the TDR info. I hope to get my heater core changed today. Is it possible to change the core without evacuating and disconnecting the ac?
I didn't have too. But yet again i did something most others won't agree with. And i didn't loosen the heater box at all.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 AM
SWC

Evaporator Change

Do a search here on DTR using those words. There is a very informative thread complete with pictures which MAX340 wrote up in January of this year.
I am member of TDR as well and have that article in my files. I feel that the thread on DTR gives more information because of the excellent pictures in the thread.
This is one of the jobs I want to tackle over the upcoming Holidays. Between the 2 articles I feel fairly confident going into this.
Stan
Old 12-19-2008, 12:50 PM

Another thing that you can try before replacing the heater core is to remove both heater hoses at the engine, fill the heater core with CLR, let it sit for several hours, flush it out with water, and reconnect and refill the cooling system. I have had good luck with this method if the initial problem is a plugged core.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:59 PM
vrj

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Heater Core R&R update:

I began the job today by disconnecting my laptop mount, scanner & ham gear. I then disconnected the required parts under the hood and on top & below the dash.

I pulled the dash and hung the passenger side with a ratch. strap as per the instructions from DTR and TDR. I then cut the brass tubes off the old Heater Core and pulled the old core out of the top of the HVAC box.

Right at dusk I attempted to install the new Heater Core back in the slot in the HVAC box. The new core only went in about 3/4 of the way down. I tried to install it for over an hour. I tried to investigate what the problem was by pulling the core out and trying to fit it back in (3 times). It still didn't go all the way in.

I compared both cores and the only thing in see that might be the problem with the new core (from NAPA, aluminum core w/swivel ends) is the bottom "cap" on the new core looks to be a little wider, especially by the seam, but not much.

Has anyone else have a problem like mine? Now I must head back to NAPA tomorrow morning to see if the sold me the wrong core. This is very frustrating to have to pull the core back out and head back to the auto parts store.

I'm very repair literate. Has anyone else have a problem like mine?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:05 PM

You have to get the tubes lined up correctly. I was able to wiggle the core down and turn the tubes a little and then repeat. It will go in, it just takes some patience.
I did notice if the tubes werent positioned properly, they would two block themselves.

Also, to help pull the dash farther off to give more room wrap the strap around the dash and hang one hook on the passenger seatbelt d ring mount and the other hook to the grab handle.

Also, I got my heater core from AutoZone for $65.00.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:11 PM
vrj

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&ppuser=36926
Old 12-19-2008, 11:21 PM
vrj

You have to get the tubes lined up correctly. I was able to wiggle the core down and turn the tubes a little and then repeat. It will go in, it just takes some patience.
I did notice if the tubes werent positioned properly, they would two block themselves.

Also, to help pull the dash farther off to give more room wrap the strap around the dash and hang one hook on the passenger seatbelt d ring mount and the other hook to the grab handle.

I'll be comparing my core with Auto Zones as well as to discuss with NAPA tomorrow.

I've been watching the tubes and there are no binds. I had more that enough room watching if the tubes are binding. I tend to disagree but thanks for your suggestions. I do appreciate all the help I can get. You've done this before so I am listening closely.

Since its going to take a while to get my pics up on here, I sent 3 pics of my old and new heater cores to you for review. Pay attention to the bottom of the core. Let me know what you think. Thx
Old 12-20-2008, 08:18 AM

Got'er dun!! It took about 4 hours not trying to rush anything. The fourth 11mm nut just behind the valve cover had me stuck for a few minutes. I used a stubby tubing cutter to cut the core loose.

VRJ, my new core from napa looks just like yours and I thought it wouldn't fit either. I had the heater box pulled out about 3 inches and it was just enough to wiggle the new core in.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:29 AM
vrj

Diesel Man,

I think you are right with your analysis. To test my theory, I turned the new core around (180 deg) with the tubes facing the seats. The core drops in perfectly.

Now, I'll try and pull the dash out further and try to install again. Since I have lots of daylight, I should be able to see where it is binding.

Everyone, thanks for your tips. I'll advise shortly on my results. Also, I took many pics of the job and will post them after its complete. Thx
Old 12-20-2008, 03:50 PM

I just got done installing a new heater core,got the aluminum one with the swivel ends,heres what i did,dropped the steering wheel to the seat, took out the air bag controller on the hump,4 bolts,3 nuts, 5 bolts next to the windshield,took the kick panels off,loosened the bolt on both sides,rolled the dash back and swung the right side off the bolt and set the dash on the seat,tied it back to the seat with a bungi cord,took a air power little angle grinder with a metal cutoff blade(2 inches) and cut the tubings a inch and a half after the first bend of the core,lifted out the the old core straight up, took the new core and cut the tubings same place as the old one,maybe 1/2 in shorter,droped the core in the slot,put 2 inches of 5/8 heater hose to couple the new heater core pipes with the old part of the pipes still in the truck, used 2 clamps on each hose,never moved or unbolted the the heater/ac unit at all, didnt even open the hood of the truck,put everything back together,fired up the Espar so it pumped the coolant thru the new heater core,added a little anti-freeze, fired up the truck,took it for a 10 mile run on the high-way, its 18 below zero out with a 40 mph north west wind at the moment,blows air like it did when it was brand new, maybe even better,this new core has twice as many tubes in as the old one,dont kno if that is good or bad, didnt drain any coolant out either,when I cut the pipes, lost maybe a few ounces,rest stayed in the core,didnt spill any cause I lifted the core straight up. old core was copper,new one was aluminum,good or bad,dont know,dont care cause I have heat, actual time start to finish-2 hours,but did spend 2 more hours looking for wrenches,clamps,lights,visiting,having a coke,more important things like that.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge Demon
I just got done installing a new heater core,got the aluminum one with the swivel ends,heres what i did,dropped the steering wheel to the seat, took out the air bag controller on the hump,4 bolts,3 nuts, 5 bolts next to the windshield,took the kick panels off,loosened the bolt on both sides,rolled the dash back and swung the right side off the bolt and set the dash on the seat,tied it back to the seat with a bungi cord,took a air power little angle grinder with a metal cutoff blade(2 inches) and cut the tubings a inch and a half after the first bend of the core,lifted out the the old core straight up, took the new core and cut the tubings same place as the old one,maybe 1/2 in shorter,droped the core in the slot,put 2 inches of 5/8 heater hose to couple the new heater core pipes with the old part of the pipes still in the truck, used 2 clamps on each hose,never moved or unbolted the the heater/ac unit at all, didnt even open the hood of the truck,put everything back together,fired up the Espar so it pumped the coolant thru the new heater core,added a little anti-freeze, fired up the truck,took it for a 10 mile run on the high-way, its 18 below zero out with a 40 mph north west wind at the moment,blows air like it did when it was brand new, maybe even better,this new core has twice as many tubes in as the old one,dont kno if that is good or bad, didnt drain any coolant out either,when I cut the pipes, lost maybe a few ounces,rest stayed in the core,didnt spill any cause I lifted the core straight up. old core was copper,new one was aluminum,good or bad,dont know,dont care cause I have heat, actual time start to finish-2 hours,but did spend 2 more hours looking for wrenches,clamps,lights,visiting,having a coke,more important things like that.

NICE!
That sure did save some time.
The hardest part for me was getting the HVAC box back on the firewall and bolted up.
Glad you have heat.

Quick Reply: I have heat again