2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Help - exhaust system rusted out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Help - exhaust system rusted out!

Hi,

My husband and I just joined the ranks of proud Dodge CTD owners! We searched long and hard, nationwide, for the right truck at the right price.

The story: we found our dream truck, a '99 SLT Quad Cab 4X4 AT with leather interior, but it was in Michigan and we live in CA. Even so, the price was so good it was worth having it shipped. We were forewarned about rust issues in the northern states, and being it was long distance, I paid to have one of these inspection companies go out to give it the once over and look for problems. Their report noted no problems with the exhaust system.

Well, the truck arrived on Tuesday, and when the driver started it up to back it off the rig, it sounded really loud. I thought, well, it is a diesel - maybe it's just a real loud one.

When I got home, I looked underneath and to my horror found that the pipe had broken loose from the muffler!! I guess it got shaken loose bouncing around on the rig, because neither the agent at the dealership nor the driver noticed this on inspection.

I took it to Midas, and the kid there said they didn't even have the parts, but it looked like the whole thing front to back was rusted out.

I guess that's why it was such a good deal.

So, I'm up in the air with all of this. If the pipe wasn't broken in Michigan, it got shaken loose on the rig, so do I go after the driver's insurance given they carry 0 deductable insurance?

It wouldn't have broken if it weren't rusted out, in which case the guy at the dealer wasn't straight with me when I asked him about rust problems. I can't go after the inspection people because they have a disclaimer saying that they aren't responsible for any problems.

I gather this will be a pretty costly job. Before I venture forth, any advice as to how to have the repair done? Midas, the muffler people, can't even handle the job! Is this a possible do-it-yourself-er situation? I've seen exhaust systems on some of the truck websites, etc.

Also, what about doing mods at this point such as straight-pipe/muffler elimination. The truck is pretty darn loud right now, so how would the noise level compare to that? Pros and cons to doing that? All I know is it is supposed to give a little boost torque/hp-wise.

Thanks in advance!

Betsy
Woodside, CA (SF Bay Area)
'99 Dodge CTD SLT QC LB 4X4, white
Old 06-10-2004, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt if the insurance would cover it, if it was from rust. You can try though...

For around $400 to $500 you can get a complete 4" exhaust system shipped to your door. To install it, it is very easy. Some normal hand tools, 1 hour, and some help, as in another person.

I suppose you could pay someone around the NorCal area to put one in, so shop around. Look up some diesel shops around your area and call them up.

If you're looking for quiet, don't straight pipe it, it's louder than you would wish for I'm guessing. Although, it does sound quite nice!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:31 PM

It might be better to just order an aftermarket exhaust and put it on yourself. you can find exhaust systems as low as $350 that are good quality. congrads on your new truck. im currently looking for a good cummins shop in redwood city, their hard to find I’ll let you know if i find any, i think i found one by SF air port. Its nice to know there is someone else in the bay aria who’s on DTR welcome. chris
Old 06-11-2004, 11:27 AM

That Midas must suck. Any muffler shop can install one.

I'd get an aftermarket exhaust and then a muffler shop to install it if you'r not up to the task. You're talking around $500 complete. If there are no other significant rust issues....you still did well.

The inspector MIGHT kick down a bit, but I wouldn't plan on it.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:08 PM

Welcome to the diesel world!

One thing that is actually pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things is the exhaust on these trucks. Not nearly as pricey as replacing a system on a gasser.

Like the other members have mentioned, a good total system can be shipped to your door for $400 to $500. Things you will need to consider include the emissions laws you have to deal with where you live, and what you want it to sound like when the system is on.

There are several vendors here that can offer a vairety of solutions and will talk your ears off before shipping you anything.

I can recommend Rip at http://www.protintnw.com/sa-main.htm

Also, if you don't feel like installing it in your driveway, I would contact a local big rig place and visit with them about an install. I had my stock system completely taken off and replaced with a system I brought to the local place. Took less than an hour and cost me $80 after I tipped the mechanic!

Matt
Old 06-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Banned

Real Common Occurance

betsycam,

We sell more systems than you might suspect for the corrosion problems for the 12 and 24 valve. I have had a lot of customers call and tell me that the factory replacement parts are as much as 600.00 plus dollars from Chrysler. Call us if we can help you.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 06-15-2004, 06:36 AM

WHATS THE PROBLEM . YOU CAN GO TO ANY MUFFLER SHOP AND THEY WILL WELD IT BACK TOGETHER FOR ABOUT 50 BUCKS. MY TRUCK WAS THE SAME WAY BUT I HAD THEM REPLACE THE WHOLE EXHAUSE FOR 200 BUCKS.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Banned

I have a stock system I just took off my truck a few months ago it looks and is in real good shape. All you need is a 3" expanded connector and a 4" expanded connector which any big rig shop would have and they could also install it for you for a nominal fee.

I would like to just give you the system but I do not know how much it would take for shipping or how to package it, maybe all I would need is just some card board from an appliance shipment, I will check into it if you would like?
Old 06-17-2004, 02:43 PM

Thank you for the offer, bluebull! My husband and I decided to order a 4" exhaust system and install it ourselves. Hope it goes well! I appreciate your offer, though

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! We should have the system tomorrow, and I'm always game to learn how to do these things

What d'ya think?

Old 06-17-2004, 03:48 PM

Mine's rusted off in that exact same location. I too will be ordering a 4" system soon.

Good Luck!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:14 PM

I had the same problem with a 97 that I had. I got 4" and just straight piped it from the resonator. It only cost about $50. Just get some straight 4" exhaust and a 45 elbow and you are all set. It won't be quit, but it is alot better then what you have now. It really isn't that loud, it sounds real good. It sounded like a big rig. Good luck
dave
Old 06-18-2004, 11:22 AM

Betsy,

A few quick tips on the new system: Dry fit everything before taking the old one off to make sure that the pipes go together and are the correct length. Also, you can get "wrap around" style clamps instead of the "crimp" style for better sealing at the joints. Big rig truck shops carry them (FleetPride, etc...)

Good luck with your tuck
Old 06-18-2004, 01:49 PM

I wish I'd known about these tips before I ordered my system, which just arrived today! We're heading down south today for Father's Day so I'm sure there be someplace to stop to get those clamps along the way. Have a great weekend!

Betsycam
Old 06-18-2004, 09:29 PM

Today I installed 4" T304 , Turbo back, system from Jegs. Nice tone, right price, quality stuff, or so it seems.
I like the sound, it could be a little quieter though, but I'm that way. I like the Borla on my jeep, a system known for its manners.
Probably my imagination but I think the truck is quicker.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:05 PM

You guys know that the stock muffler makes a great dirt compactor, right? That is what I used mine for Just weld up the ends, weld a bolt on each end and take a push mower handle and that's it It worked on our golf green that we *tried* and are trying to put in

Quick Reply: Help - exhaust system rusted out!