2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Headlights: HID vs Sport conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tate, how's the light pattern using the Stangmods HID's with a stock housing? Any strange 'scatter'?

Also, has anyone here used Sports with 4 HID bulbs? If so, any issues?
Old 01-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mopar-or-no-car
I really like the sport light. For starters the clear lenses are a way better design then stock, They let way more light through. Also On high beam having four bulbs makes awesome amount of light. Low beam is way briter then my old ones were on high beam all though so are my foglights(old headlights really sucked) I kindof wanted to try the hid's but dont know much about them.

how did the wiring part werk out on this. im guessin ya went from single to dbl buls. 2 to 4 bulbs. i wanna do this but ive got singles. also will they fit the fenders or do i need to cut a hole for the extra bulb to stick out.? you actually did this yerself? im not wantin relays and all kinds of extra wirin. maybe a adaptor harness or somethin and a new set of clear lights
Old 01-04-2008, 03:24 PM

You dont need to cut the fenders the hole is big enough to plug both bulbs in. I did go from 2 to 4 bulbs. There are a few places on the net to get wiring harness's, they all use relays to power the lights. The plug into to the socket for your old single bulb and go to two, so there is no cutting factory wiring.

I bought my kit form http://www.danielsternlighting.com

This kit is not a harness though, Its just the parts you'll need to do it. You have to come up with your own wiring diagram as its not included.

One thing to know is that the headlights on your truck are negative switched. Which means the power is constant through socket which should be ground and then it ground through either the high or low prong on the headlight bulb.

The only problem I had with wiring it up was to do with the foglights. For some reason with the foglights on when I went from high back to low it wouldn't change back, but if they were off it worked fine. I'm not sure how to fix that becouse I got a shop to fix it when I couldn't figure it out, Allthough they didn't do it exactly right either becouse now the foglights dont go out with highbeam. Which I don't mind becouse it just makes for extra light.

You could also check out this harness
http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=116

Im sure theres other places to get them too.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:27 PM

here's a diagram of how I wired mine, with the exception of whatever I did to the foglights.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...2&d=1187998693
Old 01-04-2008, 04:41 PM

Something to consider is that any truck that didn't come with the sport lights as an option will probably need to have some type of body work done inside the fender to fit the bulbs.

I have the sport lights (duh, it's a sport), but one of these days I may or may not switch to HID. I'd have to find some type of bi-xenon set-up otherwise that could make for some interesting lighting,
'
The reason being? Sports have 4 dual filament bulbs. With low beams 2 bulbs are lit using the "low" filament. When you flip the switch to go to high beams, all 4 "high" filaments are lit. This is done because the second set of bulbs that weren't there in the non-sport trucks don't have a lens around them that is designed to direct the light. All that really means is that if you find a way to light all 4 low beams you're going to encounter some really angry people coming the other direction.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM

No they dont need any body work.

I believe they started putting the four bulb lights in trucks in 99 so anything newer then that doesn't need any mod.

Also its really easy to hook all four up for low beam, but like you said it dosen't aim the light so there is no sense in hooking it up. I didn't.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by gator_grabber
Tate, how's the light pattern using the Stangmods HID's with a stock housing? Any strange 'scatter'?

Also, has anyone here used Sports with 4 HID bulbs? If so, any issues?
The light pattern is good for me, but towards the outer edges of the light you can see bands of light from the lense. I get flashed a lot because of how bright they are. Thats why I'm thinking of going to the bi-xenon setup they sell. Atleast I can flash back then.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by mopar-or-no-car
No they dont need any body work.

I believe they started putting the four bulb lights in trucks in 99 so anything newer then that doesn't need any mod.
Right...
Something to consider is that any truck that didn't come with the sport lights as an option will probably need to have some type of body work done inside the fender to fit the bulbs.
That still leaves the 94-98 trucks to do body work, which is what I was saying basically...
Old 01-05-2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17

That still leaves the 94-98 trucks to do body work, which is what I was saying basically...
Adding sport lights to a 96 - the pics should be self explanatory:

http://www.firepunk.com/gallery/sportlights
Old 01-05-2008, 11:01 AM

Dr. Evil, whats it take to get the lights out without removing the bumper? I was looking at my truck and it seems like there is one screw just below the top of the bumper that would cause a problem.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Its been awhile since I had mine out - Im having trouble remembering.

I believe there are 2 bolts (or screws) on the bottom and one up top. And yeah, they definitely come out without touching the bumper.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Try getting the bottom bolt out with either a ratching wrench(becouse they end bends so you can twist it to fit) or a socket with the extension that is bendable like a u-joint. Its not to hard to get out and bumper dosent have to be touched.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:11 PM

Well I got them both out with some fighting, and the passenger side back in. Polished them both up again so they're nice and clear, but man the drivers side is fighting me like you wouldn't believe.

Next time I'm taking the bumper off though, since I definitely scratched the crap out of the bumper and fenders.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:20 PM

Y for some reason when I take them out the passenger side is out and in really easily but I always have to fight to get the drivers side one back in.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Got em back in. Ended up having to remove the top clip from the headlight housing itself and removed the corner light as well. Once I wedged the headlight bracket and housing in separately I clipped it back together. I must say with the bottom u-clips back on the adjusting screws the lights are MUCH better finally being pointed the right way.

Quick Reply: Headlights: HID vs Sport conversion