2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Headlight stopped working and brake light isn't on

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight stopped working and brake light isn't on

I recently picked up a 1997 2500 CTD. The headlight was working when I picked up the truck but while idling it home, I smacked the dash because it rattled like hell. I also played with the headlight switch (seeing how the doom and cargo light works) when I realized my headlight stopped working.

The high beam works but the low beam doesn't. It 'could' be the bulbs but I'm pretty sure it's not because both side stopped working. I checked the fuses and it's fine. The only other thing that could have cause the problem is me smacking the dash and playing with the headlight switch.

Is the headlight switch failure a common problem on the truck? I suspect this because the high beam is on a different switch and it still works.

Second problem, I removed this 'aftermarket' (doesn't have any dodge logo on it) controller. It's mounted to the panel under the steering wheel and it doesn't look factory .. too ghetto rig. I was following the harness (after the crimps) to remove it completely then I discovered the harness goes to the factory wiring loom. There is a label on the harness that says "electric brake". After removing the unit, my "BRAKE" light doesn't show up anymore when I engage the parking brake. The unit has four wires .. black, blue, red, and white .. which matches the factory wiring but it was hooked up with blue going to red and red going to blue, black to black and white to white, or something like that.

Is this unit a factory item? How is it wired and by removing it caused my 'BRAKE' light to stop working?

Last, where do Dodge owners go to pick up OEM parts? Partznet.com has Chrysler/Jeep but no Dodge. Local dealership .. haha.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:19 AM

first4age

Welcome to the site... I am by no means an expert, but I would suspect the switch. I have read several threads on here that talk about the switch failing... especially if you have the dimmer turned down. Try doing a search for head light switch..

As far as the box you removed.. it sound like it was an electric brake controller... Do you have a 6 or 7 pin connector in the back of your truck?? Do you know it the previous owner towed any thing?? Not sure if this would effect your BRAKE light no turning on, but any thing is possible.. As far as it being factory, you would have to get the order sheet to see if it was ordered with a tow package..

Can't help you with OEM parts...

you may want to post this to the help forum and see what you get... Not sure if you can transfer this or post new...
Old 09-05-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The headlight switch tend to overheat and fail. You can pick up a new one from most auto parts.
The wire colors on most brake controllers don't match the trucks wiring. I've known quite a few folks with light problems that were cured by removing the brake controller.
The controllers are all aftermarket.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:47 AM

Thanks for the welcome hekroh. I didn't realize there was a search feature until you replied. (I guess you have to registered and sign-in, in order to have the search feature.) I just did a search and WOW .. this seems to be a common problem.

The truck does have a 7 pin plug on the hitch. I'm looking at the original window sticker and "Trailer Tow Group" is listed as one of the option the original owner purchased. Here are some pictures of the unit I removed.

Is that the OEM (or the aftermarket unit Dodge used original) electric brake unit?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:20 AM

Yes. That is the electric brake unit...
Old 09-06-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Like I said there is no OEM controller they were all after market and not included with a new truck. The towing package is just beefier springs and heavy duty turn signal flashers.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Like I said there is no OEM controller they were all after market and not included with a new truck. The towing package is just beefier springs and heavy duty turn signal flashers.
That clears things up alot compared to "the controllers are all aftermarket". (Because alot of cars today comes with aftermarket parts but these are OEM aftermarket parts too. ie. Scions with OBX & AEM parts. WRX with Momo & BBS parts. Or Recaros in some cars. etc)

I got the headlight fixed and it was the switch. Picked up a cheap NAPA switch since the dealerships are 3+ times the price ($89 vs $24). I'm going to get the summit racing harness too so I won't have this issue again. (hint: there is a spring loaded button on the side which you push in order to pull the rod out. It took me forever to pull the rod out since I didn't know that.)

I also fixed my BRAKE light. Turns out, when I was cleaning the gauge cluster, I had to remove the lower bulbs to put the clear face out. When I put it back, I must have installed a blown bulb in the BRAKE side.