2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

guage choosing

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 06:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guage choosing

I want to get some guages for my truck and Im torn between which ones and where to buy them. I think I want the full pillar with a two guage setup. I want an in-cab fuel pressure guage and possibly a pyro to keep track of egt's. I know lots of people use the boost/pyro setup but anyone use a fuel pressure instead of the boost? T.I.A.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:46 PM

Re:guage choosing

I have an '01, and here is what I did. I nstalled the tri-pod pillar and three gauges. below are listed the gauges, they are made by Westech, and sold through Genos Garage. You can go to there web site to see others.<br>1: Fuel pressure<br>2: EGT / boost<br>3: Trans. temp. / Engine oil temp.<br><br>Gauges #2 &amp; 3 are both combination gauges.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought my gauges from www.wildcatdiesel.com<br><br>I went with the Isspro EV series mounted center of dash becuse they are are the easiest for me to see in daylight and the most visable at night.<br><br><br><br>I didn't go with the pillar mount becuase it places them too close to me for my &quot;Old Man Eyes&quot; to focus.<br><br>Drive a a truck with the pillar pod, and one with a dash pod 1st to see which one works better for you. <br><br>Just another option.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:35 PM
Chapter President

thanks firestorm I appreciate the reply. <br><br>Ed, the dash pod set-up looks great and I like the idea of comparisons but no one I know here has any guages in theirs so Ill think on it a little and go one way or another. My eyes are ageing as well so maybe that is the way to go. Decisons-decisions . I just need to watch the F.P and anything else is a plus.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since your sig says &quot;a few mods&quot;, I would strongly suggest adding the pyro. Boost wouldn't be a bad idea too. A few mods always seems to end up as a few more, so you might as well do the gauges all at once.<br><br>I did the triple gauge a-pillar pod and I love it. Gauges are easily visible. If you look around, you should be able to find some gauges with high visibility faces. My Autometer gauges have silver faces with bright orange needles. High contrast and very easy to see.<br><br>Some guys rotate the gauges in the pod so the critical reading for each gauge is straight up and down. That way you can instantly tell if any of the readings are too high.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:17 PM

I have a Pyro, Fuel Pressure and Boost Pressure in a pillar mount. I have DiPricol gauges but if I had it to do over, I would have gone with the Autometers. The Di Pricol boost and FP gauges are fine but the pyro leaves a lot to be desired in night mode.<br>
Old 07-10-2003, 10:59 PM

My eyes are aging also, so I know what it is like. I have a Rods Pod that holds my fuel pressure gauge (Isspro), EGT and boost (Banks). It was a little more work to install but I really like it. All of the gauges work well, but I really like the Isspro fuel pressure gauge and am thinking of changing the EGT and boost to them!<br><br>Follow this link to some earlier posts and pictures of Rods Pods.<br><br>https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d=5920;start=0<br><br>Good luck!
Old 07-11-2003, 03:39 AM
Banned

I've got a triple pillar with a custom gauge pod fiberglassed in on the dash right in the middle of the speedo/tach. I've got Fuel Pressure, Boost, and pre/post turbo EGT on the pillar. I like having it their. Keeps it out of my way. I'm only 18 though. So aging eyes isn't a problem for me.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:57 AM

I've got &quot;Old Man Eyes&quot; too. I have to get a good 4 feet away from this monitor (19&quot to read the text without my glasses. I put Isspro EV's on my A pillar and can see them fine. I bought paint for the mount to match the interior from the dealer. I put green bulb covers on the lights to match the stock gauges. The installation looks great. I've got no regrets with the choice of the gauges or the location.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:28 AM

I have 3 DiPricol (tranny, boost, and pyro) on the pillar and am pleased with the location and visibility. I agree with rattle rattle that the Pyro leave a little to be desired. [undecided] DiPricol must have got a lot of complaints because the guage has now been redesigned and looks a lot better. I will be adding FP to the cubby hole soon to support bombing efforts. ;D Happy with DP except for the pyro which was ugly and fogs regularly. Not a problem with the new version though. ANY guage is better than none! I don't think you can go wrong with any name brand you see mentioned here.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Chapter President

thanks everyone, I appreciate the information!! I finally chose to call Rod at Wildcat and got a 3 pod A-pillar set-up. Boost, Pyro (hopefully the newer version) and fuel pressure guage. He was most helpful and you folks were gracious in helping me know all the possibilities. The pyro is on back order so now I play the waiting game..thanks again everyone ;D
Old 07-11-2003, 06:09 PM

I forgot to mention that I bought my gauges from Rod too. No regrets about that choice either. Awesome guy to deal with. ;D
Old 07-18-2003, 10:13 PM

larry<br>I have a piers diesel triple pod on the post and love it.i got two gauges from piers and one from a local ap.the shop that put mine in did a nice job and it looks great. i got the auto meter ultra light with the silve trim lookd great.if you can get a price from someplace run it buy piers and they may beat it.they told me that after i had got the one locally.auto meter is more spendy but you have the feeling your driving a Nascar.If i can't see mine i just move my haed back anf forth till things come into focus
Old 07-18-2003, 10:16 PM

I have Iss guages, and have had Autometer.... I really think that I'm going to get the Dakota Digital guages soon. They look good, and cost about the same as the analog setups - also their easy to read at night and during the day.<br><br>Just my opinion.. ;D<br><br>-joel
Old 07-19-2003, 10:56 PM

While I have to wait a few more days for my Dakota Digitals to arrive, I have to admit, I love my cyberdyne digital trans and fuel gauges. Very easy to see. My gauges are mounted low under the dash by the abs box and no problems with reading the numbers. The gauges respond faster as well and no moving parts. Very happy with the digital. Kevin

Quick Reply: guage choosing