2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Found out my anti lock brakes don't work the hard way!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 08:59 PM
ejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found out my anti lock brakes don't work the hard way!

Someone decided to stop 3 cars in front of me and it was like a chain reaction.Unfortunetly when I slammed my brakes on they locked up and I slid into the truck in front of me,and knocked him into a van. &gt;<br> My truck is probably the only one repairable,and I was only doing 35-40 mph.It totaled my front end,ruined everything back to the doors!I never even popped the hood,hard to say whats left,definetly not the radiator. :'( <br> I'm affraid to even see my next insurance premium.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:27 PM

Re:Found out my anti lock brakes don't work the hard way!

You may only have had RWAB so the fronts locked but the back end should not have come arround because of the anti-locks in the back! Sorry to hear about your miss hap. :'(
Old 05-12-2003, 09:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, sorry to hear that. Did your airbag pop also? Just look at the bright side, you're OK, right?<br>Do you have 4 wheel ABS or rear wheel only?<br>I have rear wheel and sure wish I had 4 wheel.<br><br>Chris
Old 05-12-2003, 09:48 PM

Boy, that is too bad. I guess the main thing is that all were ok (I hope). Then comes the bad things like the ticket :'( :'( and ins. premiums &gt; &gt;. I got one for something similar except it was a state owned vehicle I hit and it cost me $55. Company truck though so no ins. problems. <br>Keep us informed<br>Tom
Old 05-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Banned

Hey. At least you didn't wreck your dad's Corvette. Rear ended somebody doing 35. Vette was perfectly fine. Cracked bumper, new passenger headlamp, and new quarter panel (had a slight crack in it) and I was good to go. I drove the Vette home. The other car was totaled. I ripped out everything up to their rear axle and they slid into another car and smashed up their front end. Other car was fine. It was a Pontiac Sunfire. I don't care what people say, Corvette's do not stop on a dime. <br><br>Was everyone ok after that?
Old 05-13-2003, 07:19 AM

Rear antilocks will actually cause your stopping distance to INCREASE as they allow the rear wheels to turn to keep them from sliding. <br><br>There are a couple of intersections locally that have real bad humps right where you are usually on the brakes pretty hard. Occasionally I slip up and forget to brake early and when the rear unloads over the bump the ABS kicks in and I lose what feels like at least a truck length of braking distance. I have yet to tap anybody because of this but it definitely puts a pucker in the seat covers when you are standing on the brakes and the truck just keeps going.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:08 AM

I have come to stops along a bumpy road and had my ABS kick in--not much fun
Old 05-13-2003, 05:07 PM

when i had my 98 ...within 2 weeks of me owning it i rearended someone going less then 25mph...totaled the entire car especially the trunk and the only thing wrong with my truck a dent in the brush guard and a few clips broken off the cheap sport bumper!! ;D

Edited by Moderator
Old 05-13-2003, 08:01 PM
ejb

I just put a billet grill and bumper grills in it a couple of weeks ago.Guess I should have waited. ???<br> I'm sure that'll be the least of my worries when the insurance companies get done. :'(
Old 05-13-2003, 08:03 PM
ejb

Another angle.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't look like it did any frame damage,<br>hard to tell not seeing the frame though.<br><br>You should be able to get it fixed up, almost as good as new.<br><br>Time for a nice beefy aftermarket bumper,<br>just in case the ABS doesn't work again .<br><br>Glad nobody was hurt.<br><br><br>phox
Old 05-13-2003, 08:40 PM
ejb

Theres no frame damage,but radiator,batteries,AC,fenders,and all the front end is shot.Pretty bad for 35 mph.<br> I just hope my limits were high enough to cover mine and the other two.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:31 PM

ouch makes you wonder if the the new trucks are forced built to crumple like that so the imports dont get killed, looks like lots of damage for the speed?
Old 05-14-2003, 11:15 PM
Banned

I think your right.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:26 PM
ejb

Yep,I think you're right.The truck I hit was a 2000 silverado and it pushed the back quarters up against the rear tires and bent the frame so the bumper sits about 6&quot; higher than normal.My estimate was $7033.00

Quick Reply: Found out my anti lock brakes don't work the hard way!