2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical problem

Has anyone had any problems with their radios powering on and off when the truck gets hot? I have tried two different stereos including wiring directly to the battery and this still happens. The only common thing is the switched power is coming from the radio power circuit. However, so is the edge comp and bd-power tow lock.

Any ideas? It sounds like a relay under the dash clicking when it happens, however, being that it only happens when hot the truck is running and it is next to impossible to track it down begin that I am unable to recreate the problem in the driveway.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could a circuit breaker be overloaded with those items all hooked to the same circuit?
Old 09-24-2004, 02:50 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
You say you wired it directly to the battery and it still happens? That pretty well eliminates all relays etc in the system. When you wired it to the battery did you only take the positive wire or did you also ground the radio case to the battery?
When you say the radio powers off, do you really mean no power (even the dial light goes off) or do you mean that you just lost the station? What happens if you play a CD?
If you hot wired TWO radios directly to the battery with the same problem showing up, then there is something else factoring in.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:30 PM

The radios have three hot wires coming from them.

1- Amp wire
1- Power wire
1 - Ignition power wire

The Amp and Power wire are both wired directly to the battery. The ground wire is grounded directly to the firewall. The only origninal wire that I am using is the ignition power wire off of the wire loom. I have since moved the wire from the loom directly to the fuse panel (but still using the 15amp radio fuse circuit.)

The radio will just reset as if it lost power for a split second. When it does this, I hear a click coming from underneath the dash somewhere. I tend to believe that it is the ignition power wire that is causing the problem. However, when this happens, the truck does not surge like I would expect it to if the comp box was powered off for a split second. This is what is puzzling me.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the fact that I have the factory Infinity speaker system with the new deck. I thought my last Alpine stereo was broken when it started doing this. I then went and bought a very nice Clarion unit and it started doing the same thing right away. I then started to change out all of the wiring. I guess what I am asking, can the infinity powered stereo system cause this?
Old 09-24-2004, 04:07 PM

I started having a similar problem about 2 months ago or so. It was back in July or August when we had very high temperatures. My radio would/will just cut out, no digital display of station or clock, and no sound from the speakers. The illumination works, but not the display. Another funny thing is that even if the radio is turned off, it will sometimes come on by itself, and the volume will go up and down. This has happened about 5 times or so and it's sort of spooky.

As of now, I haven't had any radio operation whatsoever for about 3 weeks to a month. Also it's the standard AM/FM/cassette, non infinity system if that matters. I hope somebody can come up with something on this because the long drives seem even longer with no radio. Thanks
Old 09-24-2004, 04:22 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
It sounds as tho it is something in the speaker system and not the power coming in. I don't know if the Infiniti system will do this or not. Seems to me that I remember reading a few weeks ago something about compatibility problems between the Infiniti system and other systems
Amos, for your problems, it is simple. Your radio is haunted and needs to be exorcised.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:01 PM

The AMP wire you are referring to, is this also known as the power antenna wire? or REMOTE wire? If so this DOES NOT wire to 12v pos. it emits it when the head unit is turned on...

Jason
Old 09-24-2004, 11:22 PM

No, the amp wire is just that an amp wire. This is a Clarion Pro with the High output amp so it has a seperate power supply for the built in amplifier. The alpine was the same way. The 'remote turn on' wire is being used to drive the other amplifiers.