2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

weird electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird electrical problem

I was taking a trip this weekend and switched between high and low beams and the low beams would not come on. I had to pull the switch stalk slowly and they finally came back on. I pulled over to the side to try them again and the same thing happened. Switched to high worked fine, switching back to low and they would not come on until I held me breath just right and pulled slowly. The next morning, when I tried to start the truck (97 cummins auto) it just clicked at the started selonoid. I fliopped the stalk around and put the truck in neutral adn tehn back into park and it started right up. Is there a ground issue instide the steering column or does the switch stalk just wear out?<br><br>Any one else have something like this happen so I know where to start?<br><br>thanks, Don Miller<br>97 cummins, straight pipe, TST #6 plate
Old 10-14-2002, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:weird electrical problem

Don, it sounds like it might be the &quot;clockspring&quot; wiring harness on the steering column. This is an infamous part that seems to go south on everybody. I got a new truck, so it hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm sure others will chime in.