2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Dyno'd the Beast today

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Dyno'd the Beast today

Now I'm confused!!<br><br>As you guys may have been keeping track, I was heading down to BD-Power have my truck tweaked. They installed my guages, EZ box, 4&quot; turbo back exhaust, exhaust brake, and cold air intake. I had it dyno'd at home (4000 ft elevation) and it came out 179 hp/ 516 torque stone stock. With the EZ plugged in for kicks, it went 206/700. <br>Now on BD-Powers dyno, the same type as at home base, it went 265/748. Are these numbers at least close to realistic?<br>I know there are variations in dyno pulls and such. Personally, I don't care, because the truck just plain runs awesome!!! I am more than happy with the performance, my mileage has gone up, and it runs cooler. Are these numbers close to what they should be considering my mods?<br>On a side note, If you have the opportunity to deal with BD-Power, you will be impressed. They rolled my truck into the install bay at 8:00 am and it was done at 3:00 pm. Other than seeing the toys installed, you would never have known that they touched the truck. It was clean, no fingerprints, marks in the paint, pieces of wiring in the cab, nothing!! Everything was explained to me about how it works, do and don'ts, parameters to stay within.<br>It's a totally different truck, ME HAPPY!!!<br><br>Thanks guys for your input!
Old 10-24-2002, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=AlpineRAM link=board=4;threadid=5599;start=15#54884 date=1034982462]<br>Doug- direct gear usually is just a dog clutch between input and output shaft. So there are no gears involved.Nor is the countershaft turning. This reduces friction losses. <br>We usually measured for friction losses in the racecars. You win or loose with the power on the wheels. For the daily driver friction losses can be very interesting.All those beautiful horsepowers used for heating tranny oil or grinding away some expensive parts... <br><br>AlpineRAM <br>[/quote]<br><br>Alpine, the countershaft always turns, is driven from the input shaft.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:48 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Hauling: The countershaft turns- correct. But you transfer powe over the dog clutch of the direct drive. So there is not muck loss in it because you transfer the power without meshing gears. The little bit of power to overcome bearing drag of the countershaft is not where the power really goes.<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 10-26-2002, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Homestead , Think of a dyno run as a photograph. Its merely a snapshot in time reflecting the HP &amp; Tq the egine produced on THAT day at THAT time, elevation , barometric pressure , humidity , temperature etc etc . Its nearly impossible to produce consistent figures Without rigidly controlled enviromental conditions. I would suggest looking at your initial readings as a baseline and focus on relative gains produced on a dyno at consistent elevation / barometric pressure. Don't become infatuated by dyno readings cause they're all different. In the performance car world , I see countless posers attempting to race their dyno sheets ???! Do not allow yourself to fall into the dyno trap !! They are great tuning tools but have minimal relevance to ...say...how a race car will perform at the track.
Old 10-27-2002, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=AlpineRAM link=board=4;threadid=5599;start=30#57728 date=1035618525]<br>Hauling: The countershaft turns- correct. But you transfer powe over the dog clutch of the direct drive. So there is not muck loss in it because you transfer the power without meshing gears. The little bit of power to overcome bearing drag of the countershaft is not where the power really goes.<br><br>AlpineRAM<br>[/quote]<br><br>Alpine I was not inferring that the countershaft consumed power, just that it always turns if the clutch is engaged. Makes a good oil pump though, and is responsible for lubeing the rest of the transmission.
Old 10-27-2002, 03:29 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Hauling: Didn't want to critizise you. <br>You are correct that the countershaft always turns and transports the oil to the gear flanges. I did reply to a question why to use direct gear on the dyno. <br><br>AlpineRAM