2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

To Dr Evil: Patriot Blue Paint on a 02 Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Dr Evil: Patriot Blue Paint on a 02 Sucks

Hey Dr. Evil you mentioned in this post that owners of 03's are complaining about the patriot blue paint.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1928#msg211928

Have you gotten any where with the dealers on this subject?
The reason I ask, is that I bought a new 02 patriot blue in August of 2002, and have been complaining to the dealer (and others in the Edmonton area) about the paint, and really have got no action so far. My dealer did take some pictures and talked to the Dodge Rep. and they authourized a paint job, but it wasn't until I brought it in that I found out how lame it would be. The paint shop owner suggested to the dealer and the Rep that the whole truck needed to be painted. All they let him do was a the small panel below the rear window (which now looks great), but the bubbles and chips are all over the whole truck,and anything scratches it.
That was a little over a month ago, and now I'm noticing over the right rear fender a couple small specks of rust surrounded by a discolouring of the paint about the size of a dime.

Any way if you have had any success, or know anyone that has, with getting this issue resolved could you let me know.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:16 PM

Re:To Dr Evil: Patriot Blue Paint on a 02 Sucks

My '01 Dark Garnet Red is the same. Seems I find a new paint chip every day. My only complaint about the truck is the crap paint.

KL
Old 12-03-2003, 02:24 PM

[quote author=SirLAL link=board=5;threadid=23212;start=0#msg217647 date=1070480913]
Hey Dr. Evil you mentioned in this post that owners of 03's are complaining about the patriot blue paint.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1928#msg211928

Have you gotten any where with the dealers on this subject?
The reason I ask, is that I bought a new 02 patriot blue in August of 2002, and have been complaining to the dealer (and others in the Edmonton area) about the paint, and really have got no action so far. My dealer did take some pictures and talked to the Dodge Rep. and they authourized a paint job, but it wasn't until I brought it in that I found out how lame it would be. The paint shop owner suggested to the dealer and the Rep that the whole truck needed to be painted. All they let him do was a the small panel below the rear window (which now looks great), but the bubbles and chips are all over the whole truck,and anything scratches it.
That was a little over a month ago, and now I'm noticing over the right rear fender a couple small specks of rust surrounded by a discolouring of the paint about the size of a dime.

Any way if you have had any success, or know anyone that has, with getting this issue resolved could you let me know.
[/quote]

My truck is white - but do know that pretty much all the paint blows....my Cousin had the bottom of his 02 repainted, because it was all chipped in less than a month. I think you wont find many guys that are happy with their paint.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:27 PM

Hmmm, mine's ok. ITs black, and does show every little knick and scratch though. It buffs up pretty nicely when I actually take the time to do it. I use my truck off road and in the bushes and brush a lot. And that will scratch any paint job.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:46 PM

drafalske you must be one of the lucky ones, my paint is so thin if it was buffed it would be down to the primer, that is where there is primer :-[

I have a friend with a with a 99 and over 250,000 on it and he has no running boards or bug guard on the front and has only a few chips on the entire truck. My guess is Dodge really cheaped out on the paint after 2000, and their official word is that the paint isn't warrantied. Not bad for $50000 truck, I'd bet if a guy bought a high end car for that much from a German or Japanese maker and the paint start bubbling a chipping you would get some action.

Here is a Idea for a rally to get some attention, a whole bunch of angry truck owners tie on to one of these so called "five star" dealers with a big a$$ chain. So if we don't get some action then we'll se how much torque the CUMMINS has and pull their friggin building down Might even make the news LOL
Old 12-03-2003, 08:16 PM

I guess I must be lucky my 01.5 silver paint is pretty darn good it still looks showroom new except one little spot on the front fender(not factory fault got a little close to something. I wonder what is going on in ole st louis in the paint booth maybe mine was painted on hump day. but it is a nice job still @ 60,000 miles
Old 12-03-2003, 08:20 PM

Mine is okay and from the St Louis plant. Maybe bad paint is from the other plants.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:31 PM

my 98 is black and the paint is horrible. of course black shows everything, but if i gently lean against my truck, my fingernails or watch will put a scratch in it. my dad's 98 pewter chevy is obvciously a great color to hide scratches, but when you look at the paint- you can almost see 1/8" worth of clearcoat.

Tom
Old 12-03-2003, 09:31 PM

My 02 dodge is black and when your looking at it I swear you can see the paint popping off of the passager door and the quad door.Dealer said it was done by door dinges but there are no dents and the pop marks are all above the body side molding NO WARRANTY.I also bought my wife a 02 tahoe at the same as my truck and chevy puts on one great paint job and their truck cost less than the dodge. >
Old 12-03-2003, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had three rams, a 95, a 98, and now an 02. Red, Black, and Silver. First two built in St. Louis, last in Mexico. I've had no paint problems whatsoever other than the black paint seemed pretty brittle; it would chip easily.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:48 PM

I have patriot blue pearl coat on my '00 (mfg. '99). I think the paint job is horrible. If it wasn't for the fact it sits outside, I would have pursued DC. The clear coat is crap. Yet another reason to consider another breed when replacement time comes... I had better luck with my '78 Power Wagon.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:45 PM

This is probably a bit off the mark, but I find myself reading about you guys and your paint jobs, and I sort of have to chuckle. For years now, I've either owned my own shop, worked for a dealership, and now teach auto collision repair. ONE of the largest complaints now days in our industry is that of "dimished value". MOST people are convinced that the modern body shop or any body shop is not capable of putting a paint job on a vehicle that will be as good as the factory.

I've been telling people for years that factory paint jobs pretty much are just getting by. Couple of years ago, I did a box side on a new F250. Pulled the box assy and there was a 2x2 foot patch of unpainted metal on the cab rear panel (between the box and the cab so it couldn't be seen)

If you plan on keeping the vehicle......and your paint job is less than desireable....you might want to consider spending the dough to get a new one.

Make sure the shop you go to uses a paint that gives a lifetime warranty. I used SIKKENS, and THEY would give me as a shop owner a lifetime warranty on any paint job I did.

PS You should have to spend 3/5 grand. If the shop is going to do a good job
they will have to completely dismantle the truck, mldgs, handles, trim, yada, yada, yada. I would normally spend a full day taking a vehicle apart, another to prep, another to mask and paint, and another to sand, buff, detail, and reassemble.
Did I mention there usually is a little bit of body work too!

Sooooo 40/60 hrs X 50.00 + materials = good, lifetime warranty paint job. My .05
Old 01-12-2004, 09:56 PM

No doubt Bob - the factory paint sucks. No arguement here. The only problem is not everyone can afford to shell out $5 k after buying a $40+ K truck. The paint SHOULD be much better from the factory.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:06 PM

Can you spell Bean countyres?

obviouslyicant.

I totally agree with you guys, it should be better, especially on new trucks, I could give example and example of the C__P that's out there. Seems like when were out there looking at our brand new truck, we sort of get the blinders on, and really don't notice the orange peel, dirt, and little scratches until after we've driven in about 5/6 thousand miles. By that time, we might have even put one or two in ourselves....

When I worked at a GM shop----we averaged 40K a month on warranty repaints.

ITS ALL JUNK.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by magnum

ITS ALL JUNK.
For the most part - yup....

Quick Reply: To Dr Evil: Patriot Blue Paint on a 02 Sucks