2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Disaster Averted!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disaster Averted!

I just wanted to share my experience with people who may empathize.

On my way home from out of town last week, a fuel line cracked and apparently gushed diesel all over the road for a while. I didn't notice it until I got home, by which time I had lost almost a quarter of a tank. I lost a day of work and had to get it towed to a diesel shop that could get the part. This incident was the last straw and I was determined to get a "normal" vehicle.

I started looking around and test drove Frontiers and Tacomas. Really wasn't impressed, especially for the price, but everyone kept saying, "at least it won't break down on you". I put my truck in Auto Trader and got calls the first hour it was posted. One huge problem came up...whenever someone test drove it, I kept thinking "Get the hell out of MY seat!" It was almost like they were touching with my girlfriend or something! Just the thought of letting her go in exchange for a monthly payment and a neutered pseudotruck made my stomach turn.

I spoke to my dad (a recent diesel convert), and he said something about diesel mixing with your blood. I have now decided to take my truck off the market and put the money toward fixing her up like she deserves. First step: Injectors and Goerend Tranny.

I know that you guys can relate, but has this happened to anyone else out there?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 AM

diesel poisoning i think is the official name for it.....i was diagnosed at about age 10....almost impossible to get over, even with serious treatment. haha congrats on the good decision haha
Old 06-03-2009, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I had the same epiphany a few months ago. My wife's Jeep was at the dealer for some warranty work and they loaned me a 2008 Ram 2500 HEMI to drive around while I waited. I was thinking of trading my baby in for a new diesel Ram to get out of the constant fixing of my truck. I figured I spend at least $300 a month on parts and might just want to have a payment and not worry about fixing for awhile. I drove the truck, but it wasn't MY truck. All I kept thinking is this thing is new and pretty nice, but it doesn't have this or that, doesn't sound or drive like a big truck (listening to the new whisper quiet diesels), and in 5 years I'm gonna be in the same position as I'm in now. Recently I was at the Sprint store getting a phone fixed and wandered around the Dodge lot next door. Some great deals going on there and had the same thoughts. I came to realize that if I could have ANY vehicle in the whole world I would pick a brand new version of my exact truck. Sure I'm going out in the garage in a few minutes to do my right side ball joints and u-joint, but it is my hobby and I actually enjoy it. This is the longest I've ever owned a vehicle and I seriously believe I will have this truck to give to my 6 year old son when he starts driving. If I can part with it....
Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 AM

I know what you mean. I just aquired an '03 HO for the wife and was secretly wishing for her to hate it and then I would get it, sell my '01 and get her a smaller car. While I really love the '03, its still not "my truck" and am glad that she vetoed the idea of me getting her a car. I knew I had something when I married her cause now I get to have my cake and eat it too.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Im working on an old classic bronco and I already have everything to install a new EFI 302 and nice auto low gear tranny. The more I drive my truck, the more I now want to buy/install a cummins 4bta in this bronco so it's a diesel! I'm really working mentally justify this and haven't quite conviced myself as the price tag is $$$$. My point is, I really like my truck also and why would I want to drive a "gasser" classic bronco....yep trying to have my cake and eat it too.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 PM

After reading the posts above i have to say... I love my truck. I Never want to seller her!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you for using DTR support help group. We hope your "match made in heaven" last forever.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:15 PM

It's funny how my staff, family (except dad), and friends roll their eyes at me and think I'm crazy. Maybe they're right, but at least I'm not alone.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
good choice.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 PM

I think about getting rid of my 98 from time to time, but it always comes down to three facts about the truck:

1: It's paid for.
2: It tows like a SOB.
3: It's ultimately dead reliable.

Add to that the fact that I'm cheap, and I may never get rid of it.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:51 PM

I love tinkering with mine.Hey they get older and get miles on them.You are gonna have issues with any used vehicle sometime or another.If yours is paid off you got it made.Payments plus high insurance.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:31 AM

5.9 running good, new tight suspension all around, full tank, new tires and rims, clean and polished and waxed, engine bay spotless, people sayin "this is a 95" ?? Life is good.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:42 AM

You were trying to step down from a Cummins to a Tacoma? Ofcourse it wont have same pull and glide along without any efort. I drove my V10 today to work. I really cant stand it. The gas engine just feels so under powered compare to the CTD. But I figure keep the miles and wear tear off my CTD for a bit.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:54 PM

Glad you came to your senses! What were you thinking? Maybe it was a bit of heat stroke or something.

I thought that part of the point of paying for a premium to get the Cummins in our trucks was so that we could keep them for a while and not have to make payments.... repairs are still cheaper than payments (albeit sometimes a little more inconvenient) and usually after we fix the silly thing, it is finally the way the factory should have built it in the first place.

Did some poking around under mine... looks like only 1 more u-joint to go... 2 lower ball joints and drat, looks like the right front axle seal is seeping.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 AM

I've come across a similar situation too. I've decided to keep my truck. Too many things about it, still, that I enjoy. (bought new in 01...still get a chuckle slamming the skinny pedal).

Quick Reply: Disaster Averted!