2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise control not working

I have a 94 dodge 4x4 2500 5 speed, and the cruise control is not working. I just got the truck, so don't know how long it has been broke. The truck has 106000 miles and nothing works on the cruise controle.

I was wondering if there is any place to start. I have no idea how this stuff works, so any suggestions on what to do next would be excelent.
thanks,
Ryan
Old 02-22-2006, 08:57 PM

did you check the fuse?...................Jamie
Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 PM

number one cause of a failed cruise control is the vacuum line running to the servo on the drivers side under the battery. Battery acid leaks down and eats a whole in it. Next check the brake light switch on the brake pedal. Seems to be the next most common failure and cheap replacement part at the auto parts store. The clock spring in the steering wheel also will go bad and is pricey. Also the cruise button on the steering wheel gets dirty contacts that can be cleaned.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:43 AM

Got the same problem, mine did not work when I got it, please keep us posted.

thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by 94 dodge
I have a 94 dodge 4x4 2500 5 speed, and the cruise control is not working. I just got the truck, so don't know how long it has been broke. The truck has 106000 miles and nothing works on the cruise controle.

I was wondering if there is any place to start. I have no idea how this stuff works, so any suggestions on what to do next would be excelent.
thanks,
Ryan
I'd like to hear a bit more- doesn't work is a bit of a terse description

Does the cruise control light come on when you push the button (either short flicker or steady on?)

Does your AC work properly? (Not only window defog mode?)

Does the 4WD engage properly?

Does the speedo work below 10 mph?

AlpineRAM
Old 02-23-2006, 09:19 AM

His wont have a cruise light. That didnt start till 96. Rest of your thoughts are on the right track though.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM

Does the cruise control light come on when you push the button (either short flicker or steady on?)

AlpineRAM
The 4x4 works perfect, the 4x4 light comes on.
There is no cruise light coming on
The speedo works at speeds less than 10 mph.
As far as the A/C, I havent had the truck long enough to know. But all vents will blow when it is turned to the A/C side.

I will try to see if the vacume guage is working, and the fuse is not blown.

thanks for the replys guys
ryan
Old 02-24-2006, 04:32 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
94- in this case I'd dig into the Croise control servo first- unplug it and see whether there's vacuum with the engine running. Using a DMM measure for juice at the plug.

You should also look ath the brake pedal switch- it's used to cancel the CC when you brake, if it's misadjusted it will cancel the cc before it works.

AlpineRAM
Old 02-24-2006, 07:20 AM

Check the vacuum line to the servo. With a little work it can be unplugged from the servo without removing the battery. Disconnect it from the firewall and visually inspect it for any signs of damage. If it looks good cover one end with your finger and suck on it to make sure it holds vacuum. If it good hook it back to the servo and try this test again. Once you get preasure on the line let it stick to your tongue. It should hold a vacuum. That will tell you if the vaccum source is working. My truck had a pinhole at the brake booster that wouldnt allow the cruise to work yet my 4x4 engauged and my vents all worked properly.
Next test drive the truck. Try to engauge the cruise. If nothing try pulling up on the brake pedal with your foot. If it engauges and releases the break light switch it bad.
If this doesnt work pull the cruise swich out of the steering wheel and try cleaning it. Carefully disassemble the unit and clean with an electrical contact cleaner. I have read where many people tested the switch and it passed but the cruise didnt work till this was replaced. Mine cleaned up fine.
Another common problem is the wiring in the steering column. The wires are fragile and damaged easily by using the tilt wheel. The harness can be unplugged and an ohm check with a volt meter and will tell you if the wiring is good.
Last common problem is the clock spring under the steering wheel. Typically it is working fine if your dont have an ABS light on in the instrument panel. I never messed with it but it has been discussed many times on the boards. This is the last fix as the assembly is expensive.
I dont know what years it effects but the E brake switch can go bad and the computer thinks that the brake is on and not allow the CC to engauge. Another oddball problem is the crankshaft position sensor. It is not your problem if your Tach works. If the sensor goes out the computer doesnt know that the motor is running. The cruise cable can break at the throtle end and allow the cable to fall of the stud. Mine did this and I put a small ziptie around the cable to retain it to the stud. This has worked for over 800 miles since I fixed it.
Most of the time the problem is vacuum related so spend a good amount of time there. Once you get it up and working do a search for a post by Infidel on modding the cruise. He talks about putting an orfice restriction in the vacuum line to slow down the speed at witch the truck tries to maintain speed. Infidel reported a 2 MPG gain after this mod when running cruise. Typically this is more of a problem with mods but I think stock could use a little help also.
Hopefully this gets you up and running. Let us know what ya find.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:28 AM

Cracked vacuum line

Mine did not work either, when I first got it. I found a couple of cracks in the hard plastic line. Of course this happened at 8PM on Sunday, so no place for parts. I used heat shrink electrical tubing to seal the cracks, and repair the one complete break. I worked fine until I snagged the line while changing the fuel filter. I had to redo one of the splices because I pulled it out. The OEM is $11.00 at my local Dodge dealer.

Also, I tried to do this w/o removing the battery box, but unless you have REALLY skinny fingers, It ain't happening.

Works fine now!
Old 03-05-2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM

AlpineRAM

i have a 2001 2500 24v ...

the light does come on on the dash.
ac does not come out of the vents, only on the dash.

what is the problem?

pikchur
Old 03-05-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by pikchur
i have a 2001 2500 24v ...

the light does come on on the dash.
ac does not come out of the vents, only on the dash.

what is the problem?

pikchur

Yours does sound vacuum related. Had the same thing
when I got my 2001, was vacuum line(pipe) disconnected
from pump unit. Lower front on driver side of engine.
I just plugged it back in and everthing started working.
Well, except for driver window and fan speeds, but those
are something else.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:44 PM

Also check the cruise servo itself - battery acid perforated the plastic housing on mine, turning it to powder.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Cruise vacuum line

Originally Posted by Red's Cowboy
Mine did not work either, when I first got it. I found a couple of cracks in the hard plastic line. Of course this happened at 8PM on Sunday, so no place for parts. I used heat shrink electrical tubing to seal the cracks, and repair the one complete break. I worked fine until I snagged the line while changing the fuel filter. I had to redo one of the splices because I pulled it out. The OEM is $11.00 at my local Dodge dealer.

Also, I tried to do this w/o removing the battery box, but unless you have REALLY skinny fingers, It ain't happening.

Works fine now!
I am having a hard time finding this vacuum line. I just replaced the clock spring and that corrected all the other problems except cruise. I have a 2002 Dodge ram 2500 diesel 5 speed manual trans. Some one told me they don't have vacuum for the standard trans?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Biff
I am having a hard time finding this vacuum line. I just replaced the clock spring and that corrected all the other problems except cruise. I have a 2002 Dodge ram 2500 diesel 5 speed manual trans. Some one told me they don't have vacuum for the standard trans?
'02 have electronic throttle control and don't use vacuum or an actuator.

Quick Reply: cruise control not working