2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

crazy Idea??!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking crazy Idea??!

Well, a while back I was getting flip up towing mirrors from friends with broken glass, I would replace the glass in them with cut mirror glass, but it is hard on cutters to get the exact cuts it needs and the 5'' convex mirrors that I cut the shape out of for the convex part of the flip-up are getting kind of expensive. and It would be nice to have power!!! so, I was wondering and did a little measuring on my 97 chrome mirror heads vs my flip-ups I put on my 97 and thought about this....... Take the guts out of a flip up mirror that is already broken, And take the tubing end out of the chrome mirror, then use some epoxy, to hold the chrome mirror head inside the flip up head{it will fit nicely without looking cobbled!} and I would hook the power back up to the head!bamm! Igot powered flip up mirrors! only down side is you have to move switch different directions tow turn mirror when it is fliped up! I also have convex mirrors stuck on my chrome mirrors so I would have convex too!! I have to much time spent by my self!lol
Old 08-10-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replacement mirror glass is available from Binswanger Glass at a very reasonable price - convex glass included.

Rusty
Old 08-10-2004, 11:01 AM

doodah,

That sounds like a kool idea. I would like a set of those some day. What are the flip ups out of? How do they mount? Is this somewhat of an easy mod?

thanks alot
Old 08-10-2004, 11:23 AM

the flip-ups are off of a frinds 2001 dodge -incase you do not know it, they come from the factory with flip-up towing mirrors-not all of them come with this option, but it was not a option on our 94 -99 dodges, but you can make them fit. I have about 20 diferent friends around here with a wide range of doge cummins trucks, and they always Know somebody-that Knows somebody that has towing mirror with the glass or plastic broke out of them that they have sent me to fix, I charged anywhere from $5-25 to fix depending on what was broke, but have no more to do but I got a free set from a friend of mine I am experementing on. I will keep ya'll informed
Old 10-19-2005, 05:01 PM
X24

Doodah, If you have a 99-01 towing mirror for a Ram, could you measure the triangular mounting area. I have a 01 Dakota and it looks like they will bolt right up just by looking at them (even though it is very unlikely). I would do it myself but I don't want to get caught taking measurements on some strangers truck.

If the measurements seem like it will work then I'll have to try finding some cheap ones to try fitting them up.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Registered

ive got the flip up towing mirrors. and i would like them to be powered. and heated.