2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Choosing tough & versatile tires for 2500 CTD with camper

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing tough & versatile tires for 2500 CTD with camper

Hi all,
I've decided to stick with the stock tire size on my 96 2500 4x4 auto CTD (245-75-16). That means I can keep the stock wheels and only buy 4 tires (2 of my existing tires can serve well as spares), which makes the cost more reasonable.

My truck has an Alaskan camper loaded on the back (about 2000 lbs dry). I have the "camper package" on the truck (2 additional springs and sway bar on the back) so weight capacity is not an issue with this camper. The tires I will get will be E rated obviously.

Though the truck will be driven mainly on highway, I do intend on taking it "off the beaten path" sometimes (gravel or dirt roads), and also intend on driving it to Labrador and up the Alaska and Dempster highways (which are mainly gravel). For this reason I want a tire that is very tough so I don't have to worry about sidewall damages or other issues on the remote gravel roads.

My choices have narrowed to these:

1. Toyo M55 (cost and road noise are the two main negative marks I see in reviews and testimonies).

2. Toyo Open Country HT Tuff Duty (more of a highway tire so I don't know how well it would handle 100's of miles of gravel roads)

3. Cooper Discoverer AT3 (newer tire so not much track record on it, though its predecessor ATR seemed to be well rated)

If not for the potential noise issue of the M55, it could probably be the perfect tire for me. Some people say noise is an issue, some say it isn't. My CTD is not totally quiet, but I'm concerned about a persistent noise that could drive me nuts after a while.

I realize that my needs being rather varied, I may have to find the best compromise in my choice, in the end.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Well just to juggle the options a bit I've been running Firestone Transforce A/T, awesome tire. Holding up very well after 25k, still about half life. I did some offroading in shale type rock, lots of rocks for about 6 hours, and I only saw one tiny chunk taken out of a shoulder lug, hardly anything. Work great in the snow (I plow), pretty good on wet roads as well. Only thing I haven't tried much of is sand, but these trucks aren't very good in sand anyhow with all the weight up front.

I don't have my in bed camper anymore, but I do tow a 27' tt and have never had any traction issues in slick/muddy sites. Also I got a good deal right from firestone, less then $700 with warranty mounted and balanced. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM

M55's are great tires. You won't hear them on a gravel road. I found the tire noise varies with type & condition of pavement. I've had louder tires than M55. I've been through two sets of them.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
My M-55's were barely audible over the rattle of my '99 24V. They certainly were WAY quieter than my present Toyo MT's. With that camper weight,I'd consider kicking the tire size up a notch to 265's for floatation.

I had the camper package on my 2500 '99 and all it had was an overload that was so far from the bumpstops,I would have had to load a big Lance on it to make contact. Timbren offers spacers and a friend just built his own to narrow that gap.

M-55's were built specifically for gravel roads in the oilfields.
I just wish Toyo'd release a 285-75-17 in one.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by LongBlackRam
M55's are great tires. You won't hear them on a gravel road. I found the tire noise varies with type & condition of pavement. I've had louder tires than M55. I've been through two sets of them.
Good to know you like them! Indeed, noise would likely not be an issue on gravel roads Really, the reason I got this truck and camper was to fulfill that dream of driving on Northern roads, so perhaps the M-55 is the best solution to that kind of driving, and those kind of roads. If it means a bit noisier tire on pavement, maybe that's the price to pay to fulfill the dream...

Originally Posted by Danderson
My M-55's were barely audible over the rattle of my '99 24V. They certainly were WAY quieter than my present Toyo MT's. With that camper weight,I'd consider kicking the tire size up a notch to 265's for floatation.

I had the camper package on my 2500 '99 and all it had was an overload that was so far from the bumpstops,I would have had to load a big Lance on it to make contact. Timbren offers spacers and a friend just built his own to narrow that gap.

M-55's were built specifically for gravel roads in the oilfields.
I just wish Toyo'd release a 285-75-17 in one.
Thanks for that endorsement too! Indeed, the 12V is not necessarily a quiet engine at speed, maybe the people complaining most about noise are driving more silent gas engines
You may have a point about 265's and floatation, but it would be less costly for me to go stock (don't have to buy a spare). Plus I've read that even though lots of people put 265's (and wider!) on 16-6.5" wheels like I have, 265's claim to need 7-8" wheels, and I certainly don't want to invest in new wheels!
About the gap between overloads and the bumpstops, I certainly see it in mine. I thought it was more an indication of excess capacity, and didn't think I had to worry about closing the gap, do I??

Originally Posted by gorms
Well just to juggle the options a bit I've been running Firestone Transforce A/T, awesome tire. Holding up very well after 25k, still about half life. I did some offroading in shale type rock, lots of rocks for about 6 hours, and I only saw one tiny chunk taken out of a shoulder lug, hardly anything. Work great in the snow (I plow), pretty good on wet roads as well. Only thing I haven't tried much of is sand, but these trucks aren't very good in sand anyhow with all the weight up front.

I don't have my in bed camper anymore, but I do tow a 27' tt and have never had any traction issues in slick/muddy sites. Also I got a good deal right from firestone, less then $700 with warranty mounted and balanced.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've read good things about them here and there, but I do want to focus on those 3 tires I ended up with (so much choice out there I go nuts if I go too broad...)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Closing the gap will engage the overload and greatly improve handling. My friend made some out of 2" box tubing. Bilsteins all around will help some also if you're running stock shocks after all these yrs.
Those Alaskans are nice.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 PM

Closing the gap will engage the overload and greatly improve handling. My friend made some out of 2" box tubing. Bilsteins all around will help some also if you're running stock shocks after all these yrs.
Those Alaskans are nice.
Thanks for the explanation, I'll need to investigate this!
Actually, I _did_ get a set of HD Bilsteins put on last Fall, front and back. The stock shocks did look a little worn. Bear of a job to replace the shocks, according to the truck shop I took it to, rusted hardware and difficult access. Glad it was done. They also replaced rear brake lines right from the front (looked a little suspect in the back), and the spring u-bolts. If I'm going to head out on remote northern roads, I want to make sure this old 96 12V is up to snuff!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:34 AM

I have the M55 tires, which replaced the M55 tires. Great tire! Never a problem, lots of gravel roads, I carry a camper too. The noise I don't even notice, the 12V I do notice M55 are a very tough tire, worth the price, just my opinion. mine are made in the USA too!!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:36 AM

Another tire to consider is the Michelin XPS Traction tire. It is steel cased commercial tire. Good reviews, limited sizes.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by MrKen
I have the M55 tires, which replaced the M55 tires. Great tire! Never a problem, lots of gravel roads, I carry a camper too. The noise I don't even notice, the 12V I do notice M55 are a very tough tire, worth the price, just my opinion. mine are made in the USA too!!
Sounds like a good endorsement for my needs!

Originally Posted by LongBlackRam
Another tire to consider is the Michelin XPS Traction tire. It is steel cased commercial tire. Good reviews, limited sizes.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately they are not available in my stock size, and buying 5 of them would be pretty pricey I would think!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 AM

Those Alaskans are nice.
If you ever get a chance to post a picture of your modified bumpstop setup, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:52 AM

The bottom line...

The tire costs I'm getting locally are around: - please mind that I'm in Canada, and that in spite of NAFTA and parity dollars, vehicle parts and accessories are notoriously more expensive up here

stock 245-75-16 (only need 4 if keep one of my current tires as spare)
- Toyo M55 $280 each, $1300 for 4 installed with taxes etc.
- Cooper AT3 $250 each, around $1160 for 4 installed
- Uniroyal Transforce AT $240 each, around $1100 for 4 installed

265-75-16 (would need to buy 5 to get a matching spare)
- Toyo M55 $310 each, around $1700 for 5 installed
- Cooper AT3 $255 each, $1500 for 5 installed
- Toyo Open Country HT TD $310 each, $1700 for 5 installed

So bottom line: Staying with the stock size would cost me around $400 less for the set of 4 (however that would leave me with unmatched and 6-7 year old spare). M55's only about $200 more for a set than comparative options.

Pondering all this...
Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I switched from M-55s to to Toyo H/T a few years back.
Not as aggressive, quieter and should last at least as long as the M-55.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
I switched from M-55s to to Toyo H/T a few years back.
Not as aggressive, quieter and should last at least as long as the M-55.
Yeah, I lean toward the M55 but the potential noise issue makes me think of going with the HT Tuff Duty.
Also, had a look at the codes on my current tires and they are 9 years old! Given that, I will be buying 5 tires (including a new spare)!! Now if I can only pick one...
Old 05-31-2012, 10:10 AM

Just called Toyo 1-800 for the heck of it and talked to a nice chap. For my use, he said the Open Country AT would probably be the best choice (given my intent to travel north on gravel roads, occasionally off the beaten path, etc.). He said the M55 is a great tire but it is a noisier tire and offers less fuel economy than the Open Country (which in this day and age is an important factor to consider I would think). When I told him I had read a lot of people complaining that they didn't get long life out of the Open Country AT, he said that is usually people who use it for commuting every day. Given mine will be used primarily for road trips, camping, etc., he said I would get long life from the AT. He preferred the AT over the HT for my use (because of gravel roads etc.). If it was strictly highway, he would have recommended the HT (Tuff Duty).

Quick Reply: Choosing tough & versatile tires for 2500 CTD with camper