2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Cargo Box Bolts to Frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cargo box bolts - buy new or re-use?

I'm planning on lifting the cargo box on my truck to gain access to the fuel tank module. According to my Chrysler service manual, the bolts holding the box to the frame should be replaced with new ones if they are removed. The manual states that the bolts are specially coated to provide a locking action and they are not reusable. Having never removed these bolts, I'm wondering if the existing bolts, when removed, can be cleaned and a thread locker such as Permatex Blue Surface Insensitive could be applied to achieve the same results. I haven't priced new bolts at the dealership but I'm sure they are not cheap.

Since this will be a one man job, I'm going to rent an engine hoist to lift the box. That means that I will remove all but the back two bolts. Those will be loosened so actually I would need to purchase 6 bolts if I buy new ones. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Bill

Last edited by billmac; 02-21-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Change title
Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 AM

I've never done it personally but I would think you could if you put loctite back on them, I dont think they are like head bolts that are torque to yield and stretch. I think you can also drop the tank to do the same job, thats what I'm gonna have to do one of these days when I get around to it, since my flatbed is welded to my frame. Good Luck
Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 AM

I know what i'd do.

Reuse the bolts, and if i was worried about them coming loose, locktite.
I'm fixin to replace my fuel lines, and gauge sender, etc, my my bed is completely coming off, possibly replaced with flatbed. by the way, my bed it trashed from a deer, that why is coming off.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by billmac
I'm planning on lifting the cargo box on my truck to gain access to the fuel tank module. According to my Chrysler service manual, the bolts holding the box to the frame should be replaced with new ones if they are removed. The manual states that the bolts are specially coated to provide a locking action and they are not reusable. Having never removed these bolts, I'm wondering if the existing bolts, when removed, can be cleaned and a thread locker such as Permatex Blue Surface Insensitive could be applied to achieve the same results. I haven't priced new bolts at the dealership but I'm sure they are not cheap.

Since this will be a one man job, I'm going to rent an engine hoist to lift the box. That means that I will remove all but the back two bolts. Those will be loosened so actually I would need to purchase 6 bolts if I buy new ones. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Bill
i wouldn't lose any sleep over it, i reused mine and never gave it a thought.... i changed beds in '04
Old 02-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Why are you going through all that work? Drain and drop the tank- much easier.
Dropped the tank in my 96 several times now, not only to replace the sending unit replacing rear brake line, replacing hard fuel lines, and re-replacing the sending unit. Takes longer to drain the tank than anything else.