2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Cab clearance lights and fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The second one. 82207252
Old 10-26-2005, 08:57 PM

'97 will be 82207252 right?

What do the earlier 'triangle' ones look like?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
My 1998 had those "incorrect" lights on it right from DC, I added them to the second 1998 I have. Why don't you want them? I think the "flat" ones look like .
I like the low-pro ones pictured.. I wonder if they will swap in place of my big orange ones?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
'97 will be 82207252 right?

What do the earlier 'triangle' ones look like?
Here you go...

The early Gen. 2 trucks have the metal mirrors instead of the plastic ones. They use the older triangular lights. The newer Gen. 2 trucks have plastic mirros and use the more square lights (82207252). I believe your 97 is an older Gen. 2 and thus would use the triangular ones, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I like the low-pro ones pictured.. I wonder if they will swap in place of my big orange ones?
I think they might. The screw holes between the two types seemed to match up just fine. I think it'd work just fine.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by AggiePhil
I think they might. The screw holes between the two types seemed to match up just fine. I think it'd work just fine.
Thanks!
Old 10-29-2005, 04:18 AM

Exclamation

I have posted a detailed page on the installation of the Mopar overhead clearance lights. I think it'll help some people. The page is located here:

http://www.phildorsett.com/clearancelights.html

The biggest thing I can say in this thread is that while the actual lights on the 82207252 kit are correct for late 2nd generation trucks, the drilling template is NOT. You must go by the holes that are already on the inside of the truck, not the template that is supplied. The template is for 3rd generation roofs only. This is detailed more on my page above.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:35 AM

thanks. That howto will be useful for me.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:51 PM

Phil really nice article. Looks very sharp.

Looks like a PITA to install but I "have" to do it as per FMCSA regulations, since I am converting my truck to a dually.

Any reason to pay 2X as much for Dodge's vs Cabela's kit?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:42 PM

How about the older Ford lights?

I have installed several cab lights on various trucks through the years. The older Ford cab lights look nice and are easy to install. I Paint all of the plastic base and the rear part of the orange the same color as the truck. That keeps the light from standing out. Instead of removing the head liner, I fish the wire across from light to light and by removing the sunvisor, I can pull the wire down the driver's post. I have a hard time getting over the idea of drilling large holes in the top of the cab. Please don't throw stones for suggesting Ford lights. I owned a lot of Fords until I blew up my 85 diesel twice. I finally was able to afford my 05 3/4 ton 6 speed. It sure leaves everything I have had in the past in the dust.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:41 PM

I got mine done the other day and let me tell you... it wasn't that easy. It all went ok and then yesterday I see that all the 2006's have lights with real rubber gaskets. I'm kicking myself for not checking up on that beforehand.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:08 PM

has anyone had any problem with these kits leaking? Will they seal as good as they would have been from the factory? As you can see my truck is missing the clearence lights. That is the only thing that i do not like about the truck. i really wish i had the clearance lights. i had no idea that you could just go buy a kit for it.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:13 PM

Not sure what Tbone is talking about, but I don't think you have to worry about leaking if you do the installation properly, use some extra RTV sealant as I did (can be seen on my website), and don't find yourself in the middle of a hurricane.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:18 PM

Which part are you not sure about? Dodge obviously went to rubber gaskets to try to cure leaking issues I think. The 2006's now look like the first two pictured below.

I siliconed mine good before applying them but it just took awhile getting the headliner out and all. Just about anything I've done so far takes more time since the truck is new to me. I spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out the clothes hanger clips in the headliner.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My cab ligt installation:
http://www.stamey.info/Truck/CabLightInstallation.htm

Chris
Old 11-12-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AggiePhil
I have posted a detailed page on the installation of the Mopar overhead clearance lights. I think it'll help some people. The page is located here:

http://www.phildorsett.com/clearancelights.html

The biggest thing I can say in this thread is that while the actual lights on the 82207252 kit are correct for late 2nd generation trucks, the drilling template is NOT. You must go by the holes that are already on the inside of the truck, not the template that is supplied. The template is for 3rd generation roofs only. This is detailed more on my page above.
I wish I would have seen your write up before I did mine. I used the template. It didn't kill me, but I did have to do some "trimming" of the metal in the cab frame holes. I do wish I'd had a hole saw handy too. All I had was a 3/4 drill, and it ripped on the sheet metal a bit when it broke through. Wasn't a show stopper, but it was uglier than it should have been.

Chris

Quick Reply: Cab clearance lights and fog lights