2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

A/C problem - Condensation leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C problem - Condensation leak

Hi everyone, I am new to this board, but i have looked a lot, especially while I was doing research on whether or not I wanted to jump up to a Diesel Ram. Anyway, on to my question....<br><br>I have discovered a problem with my truck. It is a 2000 Ram 2500 QC, Non HO, 6-speed. I noticed that there has been a puddle of liquid underneath the truck lately, right behind the passenger side front wheel. I put a paper towel on the liquid and it appeared to be plain water, no color, no smell. Checked the radiator just in case, it is full to the top. <br><br>While looking for the “leak” today I noticed that a component of the A/C system is ice cold and water condensation on it is causing the drip (I'm in SC, so it is not freezing weather here). I think the part is the drier, but I'm not sure. It is the black cylinder shaped piece back by the firewall on the passenger side and a tube goes into the firewall, I guess into the heater core. Nothing is leaking inside the truck nor are there any weird smells. <br><br>The A/C, heat, and defrost seem to work fine from inside. But it seems like the A/C compressor is cycling on and off by itself, no matter what setting I have the controls set to (unless the switch is completely on &quot;OFF&quot. I usually run it on one of the vent settings for air circulation, but I can hear a click noise from the engine compartment, like a solenoid or switch turning on and off. I assume the A/C compressor is running all of the time?<br><br>Where should I look first? I’d like to investigate this myself before I take it to the dealer. It has almost 59K miles, and I have had the truck since May of this year. Could it be low on freon already? Could it be a switch?<br><br>Any help with this problem would be appreciated. <br>Thanks again, Mike<br>
Old 01-01-2003, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:A/C problem - Condensation leak

The leak that you are seeing is nothing to be worried about. What you are seeing is just what you think it is, water! It comes from the air conditioning system, which takes the humidity out of the air in the cab and then by doing so,the moisture wthat is collected around the evaporator core must be drained out through the bottom of the heater/evaporator core case. In the dodge truck, you will see a puddle on the ground,usually draining down from the right front lower corner of the cab. The clicking sound that you are hearing is the a/c compressor cycling on and off. this is normal and if you put your heater controls in the defrost, floor-defrost position, the a/c system will cycle the clutch to dehumidify the interior to essentially defrost the windshield. <br>hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re:A/C problem - Condensation leak

It would be easier to state when the AC does NOT run. I dunno why Dodge did it this way, but the AC does not run only when you have it on floor only or vent only (not AC).<br>At least this is how my 1999 is. I guess they wanted to make sure I get dry air in the cab.<br><br>Chris