2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Brake shield rusting away.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake shield rusting away.

The brake shields on my truck are rusting themselves into oblivion. They may be called something else, so, to clearify, it's the shield that is found on the backside of the front rotors sandwiched between the hub and the steering knuckle. I'd like to find them made from something that's less prone to rusting into pieces that like to fall between itself and the rotor. Does anyone know of a place that's making them out of stainless steel, or something more rust resistant than the stock ones?

I was thinking of making some out of some extra stainless steel sheet that I have, but, I figure it's got to be a pain to create that shape by hand. With that said, any guess on how critical the design of the stamped shape of the original shield is, out side of having to clear the rotors? I always thought thier primary function was to direct air flow for cooling and keep debris/water from hitting the inside of the rotor. If it's for directing air flow, there has got to be a better design. If it's simply for protecting the inside of the rotor, then I can see where it's design makes sense.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
About all I can say is the shape is critical as far front and back of the shield.
I know if you install them wrong side out they rub.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:02 PM

I'm thinking I'm going to see what the dealer wants for new ones, then decide if I'm going to cut up a piece of stainless steel sheet to give it a try. I know they can pricey for other vehicles...my buddy had to replace his on a GM 3/4 ton pickup and they charged him about $70 each. I can still hear his choice of words to describe the "joy" he felt spending $140 for two pieces of stamped sheet metal. That's why I was thinking if I end up having to spend about the same as he did (which I swear I'll find something else in that case), then I want something that's not going to rust and fall apart...ever!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:32 PM

I've been running without mine for 3-1/2 years on my '98. No adverse effects. My advise, throw them away.
-Glen
Old 08-11-2008, 08:34 PM

Glen, I was wondering if their thickness was important for some reason or another that the engineers designed into the hub assembly. I'm guessing their absence didn't cause any assembly problems or alignment issues? Thanks for the advise...it may come down to throwing them out all together.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:42 PM

Nope none whatsoever.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Hercules
Glen, I was wondering if their thickness was important for some reason or another that the engineers designed into the hub assembly. I'm guessing their absence didn't cause any assembly problems or alignment issues? Thanks for the advise...it may come down to throwing them out all together.
you will never know they are gone
Old 08-13-2008, 02:38 PM

I replaced mine when I did ball joints. Think they were in the neighborhood of $15 apiece at the dealership.

That said on my previous trucks I've always removed them when they got nasty. Probably won't notice any adverse effects. Though they do a decent job of keeping salt and debris off the rotors & calipers which can enhance the chance for certain brake problems.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 AM

Mine have also been gone for about 4 years. It doesn't make any difference that I can notice.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Muted User

Stainless Steel!!!! Lay the old on on a sheet of SS and cut it out.