2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Brake booster issue on a 96'

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake booster issue on a 96'

So my truck just sat for about 6 months without insurance (I'm in school, and don't need to daily drive so I didn't want to spend the money on insurance last winter) and did everything I thought I needed to keep the thing good (I'm also a huge tard so I'm not sure on that one) the only issue I'm having is now when I drive, the first time you put on the brakes, they feel fine, but if you let off and press down again they get hard as fawk to press down, like the brake booster has failed. The wierd thing is once you gas it for a bit again, you get 1 time of the booster working well, but when you go to like feather the brakes it feels like the booster goes out again. I don't know dick about it, other than it's a vacuum boost system, and literally everything but the booster is new.

Are these signs of a booster issue or like a power steering pump issue??

Thanks fore the help, I'm a total noob/ tard
Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The vacuum pumps on the vacuum assisted brake trucks like yours are notorious for not being able to keep up with repeated braking at idle.
Power steering has nothing to do with your brakes.
Could be your idle is too low or you have a vacuum leak that could be anywhere in the system.

Name:  VacuumDiagram-1.jpg
Views: 8498
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  VacuumSystem.jpg
Views: 16027
Size:  43.5 KB
Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 PM

Mine does similar to that- as Infidel said, if I pump the brakes repeatedly, it takes a minute for the vacuum to build back up.
It doesn't sound like it did this before you parked it- you should probably trace and check all your vacuum lines. Sitting and lack of use could have agravated dry rotting hoses, varmints could have chewed a hole in a line, something could be loose. It's probably a good time to learn more about your truck.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hodge
Mine does similar to that- as Infidel said, if I pump the brakes repeatedly, it takes a minute for the vacuum to build back up.
It doesn't sound like it did this before you parked it- you should probably trace and check all your vacuum lines. Sitting and lack of use could have agravated dry rotting hoses, varmints could have chewed a hole in a line, something could be loose. It's probably a good time to learn more about your truck.
That sounds allot better than dealing with replacing the whole pump. I'm thinking I'm just going to go through and replace all the hoses for good measure.

Yea, this truck has been 1 big learning process for me. Basically figured out how to drop the motor in and get the NV4500 to work after having an auto, without much of any help. I just replaced a blown lift pump, and now it looks like it's time for vacuum line I guess.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by themontajew

Yea, this truck has been 1 big learning process for me. Basically figured out how to drop the motor in and get the NV4500 to work after having an auto, without much of any help. I just replaced a blown lift pump, and now it looks like it's time for vacuum line I guess.
Well then, you're not a total tard
Old 06-01-2012, 12:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my 95 does the same with my low 500rpm idle, after pressing the brakes once at idle I loose my boost (man I had to re-word this three times to be G rated)
Makes it interesting when backing heavy loads...
Wowie, way to much pun
Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 AM

If you insist on braking a lot at idle you can install a vacuum reservoir tank to help.
Easy to make with some 4" PVC pipe with a cap glued on each end.
Just drill and tap one port on the pipe and connect it to any vacuum hose in the system.
Biggest hassle is finding a place to mount it.

Dodge used to sell a reservoir kit for these trucks for $150 that was just a flat plastic tank that attached to the radiator mount and one hose.
Total ripoff, it was worth $10 at the most.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM

^^^That's a great idea, the reservoir on my old Pontiac was a sealed coffee can with a port for inlet and outlet.

There's all kinds of room in front of the rear wheel wells, just need more hose.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 PM

Same problem with my '95. Changed front rotors, disks, calipers and master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders. Vacuum pump pulls 22.5" at 750 rpm idle. Check valve tests good and booster resevoure seems to hold fine for 3 assisted applications of the pedal w/engine off as chrysler manual states. Hate when things won't work the way i believe they should!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
^^^That's a great idea, the reservoir on my old Pontiac was a sealed coffee can with a port for inlet and outlet.

There's all kinds of room in front of the rear wheel wells, just need more hose.
It only needs one port. Under the truck is a good idea.
If you have 4wd you could just tee into the vacuum line going to the transfer case.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
It only needs one port. Under the truck is a good idea.
If you have 4wd you could just tee into the vacuum line going to the transfer case.
One port...that makes sense, must of remembered it wrong!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I come down a steep long hill in the black hills, just before the cabin..I will add the vacuum box like infelel commented..I need somthing! OK..here is what I do in the meantime..I take it out of gear and rev the engine up..that gives me the brakes I need for the down hill travel..anyone have a photo of the box infedal is talking about???
Old 06-08-2012, 07:05 AM

I have seen a lot of the older cars have an apple juice can mounted on the inner fender . have made up a couple myself.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:13 AM

Try this> http://www.amazon.com/Mota-Performan...sim_sbs_auto_1